SafeToNet recently launched the world’s first real-time sext filtering software that safeguards children across all social networks and messaging apps. It can identify and filter inappropriate images and text and has built an intelligent keyboard that works on both iOS and Android. SafeToNet has aspirations to safeguard children from around the world and is working with a high number of mobile network operators who will sell or give the software away for free to their clients. SafeToNet is one of just 5 companies in the world to be part of the Go-Ignite accelerator programme which is a consortium of Orange, Singtel, Deutsche Telecom and Telefonica. They give access to over 1.2bn customers. The board and executive team is highly experienced and the company is well funded, with substantial support from London’s investor community (see https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/26/safetonet-demos-anti-sexting-child-safety-tool/ ).
SafeToNet has expanded, with a new office in Waterloo for our Canadian subsidiary, SafeToNet Canada (previously VISR Inc.). Together with the University of Ottawa’s Natural Language Processing Lab, SafeToNet Canada is focused on developing the machine learning and natural language processing capabilities necessary for identifying complex child-safety and wellness issues in user generated digital communication data. Our Waterloo office is tasked with working together with our research partners to perform R&D and to productionize the resulting tech.
We are seeking an intermediate back-end developer to maintain and build our Java-based microservices that support our Android and iOS applications. The applications allow parents to provide parental control and real-time data analysis for children’s devices and online behaviours. You will work with our team to add new features, improve functionality, and build out related services.
The ideal candidate should have a passion for quality, attention to detail, and continuous learning. Join an interdisciplinary team of researchers and software developers at SafeToNet!
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain backend components of web and device-based apps and services
- Work closely with DevOps, full-stack, and data engineer to integrate backend components
- Develop unit and load tests
- Write functional and technical specifications to manage complexity, as necessary.
- 5+ years industry experience developing scalable backend services and cloud computing
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Industry experience developing Java
- Proficiency with NoSQL/document databases and in-memory caches (Dynamo, MongoDB, Redis, etc)
- Experience using Message-Oriented Middleware (ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Broad understanding of the design and architecture of modern web applications
- Ability to work with multiple languages and frameworks
- Proficiency writing code deployable within industry standard cloud providers (AWS/GCP)
- Experience planning and estimating software development tasks in an agile environment
- Familiarity with container orchestration platforms (Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos)
- Experience with Spring or Vert.x is a plus
Why Work Here?
- Make a difference to the safety of our youth in an increasingly challenging digital age
- The salary and benefits that we offer are very competitive
- We believe in the importance of work/life balance, supported by practices such as flex time
- We work in a high-end, boutique office space, centrally located in downtown Kitchener, a short walk from cozy bars, superb restaurants, unique supermarkets and more
- Our front door is literally a 90-second walk from the “Innovation District” station for the soon-to-be-completed Light-Rail Transit system
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in applying are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via email to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
SafeToNet welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process.