Human Resources Generalist
Descartes is a global leader in logistics and supply chain technology – our Global Logistics Network (GLN) connects trading partners from around the world, helping customers collaborate to improve the efficiency and security of their logistics operations. With nearly 20,000 customers located across more than 160 countries – Descartes is a truly global business.
At Descartes we listen to our customers about where to invest in our solutions – we build our business organically and we re-invest our cash flow acquiring complementary businesses that will benefit the wider Descartes community. Since 2006 we have combined with 38 companies, deploying nearly $700 million in capital. As we continue to grow our business, we’re looking for dynamic individuals that are willing to work hard in a fast-paced, global, multi-cultural environment.
Our North American Human Resources team supports a rapidly growing employee base of over 700 employees throughout the U.S. and Canada. We are looking for an HR Generalist, located in our Waterloo office, who will guide a growing employee population of just over 250 employees.
The successful incumbent will bring a holistic HR focus, encompassing both tactical and strategic responsibilities, with a concerted effort toward relationship building and business partnership. This role is critical to our overall operational function in the HR team and the incumbent will have the opportunity to be involved in driving the full range of HR services for our Canadian operations, to include: organizational changes, employee development and retention, recruitment, on-boarding, employee relations, departures and Canadian employment law compliance with a strong focus on enabling the business through a trusted business partnership.
Your professional judgment and ability to partner and build relationships with all levels of the organization, providing independent, creative solutions to critical HR problems will be vital to success in this role. Confidentiality is a crucial requirement, as you will be dealing with highly sensitive employee issues and information. You will be expected to recommend appropriate solutions and successfully implement those solutions as needed. We are looking for an outgoing, confident individual who enjoys working as part of a small team, but also appreciates the challenges of working autonomously.
- Providing leadership and front-line HR support and guidance to Canadian managers and employees by proactively consulting with business units to achieve objectives.
- Providing professional advice and guidance on a variety of HR-related functions, such as policies and procedures, compensation, performance management, employee relations, training and development, employee benefits, employment law and terminations.
- Managing the complete recruitment and selection process to successfully fulfill recruitment needs and objectives.
- Researching and resolving day-to-day business unit issues related to HR in a fair and consistent manner.
- Involvement in tactical and administrative responsibilities related to the role.
- University Degree in Business, Human Resources Management or related field of knowledge is required.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of progressive HR experience required, preferably in a hi-tech environment.
- Expertise with MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) is essential, along with strong attention to detail.
- Solid recruitment background with experience sourcing and filling roles at all levels of the organization.
- HR professional designation complete or in progress is ideal.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- A proven track record of proactively identifying situations and coming to the table with proposed solutions and a solid understanding of business impact and risk involved, with an ability to balance both employee and business needs.
- Ability to work well under pressure with conflicting priorities and deadlines, and continuously demonstrate high personal standards for customer service.
- Strategic thinker and independent problem solver; must be able to recommend solutions which bring issues and projects to timely completion.
We offer a flexible and casual work environment, as well as mentorship and on-the-job training to support your personal growth. You will have an opportunity to contribute new ideas and we welcome your fresh perspective.
Please submit your resume, and a covering letter describing why you are a unique fit for this position, to email@example.com “HR Generalist” in the subject of your message. We thank all applicants for their interest in Descartes; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted. All final candidates will be required to provide professional references and complete a background check, which will include a criminal background check and may include a credit check and verification of education and previous employment.
Descartes is committed to equity and diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, colour, ancestry, age, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, citizenship, ethnic origin, family or marital status. If you require accommodation at any time during the hiring process or would like a copy of this job posting in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-419-8495.