What is FairVentures Lab?
FairVentures Lab is the innovation initiative of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., with the mandate to research, develop, partner and deliver innovative solutions to support the Fairfax family of companies. Fairfax companies operate in over 25 countries in the insurance, finance, retail, restaurant, and other industries. Our Innovation Lab is located at the Communitech Hub in Kitchener, Ontario.
Who we are looking for?
We are seeking an experienced Data Engineer with hands on application of big data and analytics, preferably within the financial or insurance industry.
What would I be doing in this role at FairVentures Lab?
You will help teams across the portfolio of Fairfax companies globally enhance their decision making and efficiency as you:
- Identify, capture, cleanse, wrangle and label data
- Optimise features and develop insightful visualisations and support predictive modelling
- setup and monitor data pipelines and create API’s
You will also help:
- Shape the evolution and growth of Data Analytics within various affiliate Fairfax companies
- Liaise with various departments including actuarial, data science / analytics, sales and distribution, and IT to collect requirements, facilitate project work and collaboration between various groups
- Evolve our data governance approach to support the needs of all stakeholders in a non-bureaucratic manner
- Mentor fellow Lab members on data and analytics concepts and practices
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary and entrepreneurial team
What is FairVentures Lab looking for from me?
- You are someone who loves a challenge and wants to create meaningful impact on a large scale, across multiple technologies and industries
- You are self-motivated and always strive to deliver the highest quality work
- You can think strategically and tactically, and at both a 10 000 ft level and ground level
- You are entrepreneurial, while also understanding of the importance of patience and persistence
- You see things through from start to finish, taking ownership and delivering results
- You take a thoughtful, pragmatic, agile and commercial approach to development
- You care about and take pride in the information / advice you provide
- You are also skeptical regarding unexpected data issues & findings that lack / conflict with common-sense
- Enjoys working as a team, showing flexibility and a willingness to share knowledge
What are the qualifications for the role?
- Expert at data capture, cleansing, wrangling, and labeling
- Effective capture and transformation of un/semi-structured data into tangible assets
- Proficient in setup and monitoring of data pipelines
- Strong SQL user, preferably in a distributed computing environment like Hadoop
- Experience using ETL toolsets (e.g. StreamSets, Informatica, Pentaho, etc)
- Experience with Hadoop (preferably Cloudera)
- Experience or exposure to Spark development
- Development experience with R or Python
- Experience using NLP techniques
- Effective user of data visualisation including proficiency in one of Arcadia, Tableau and Power BI or similar
- Familiar with and comfortable accessing open, social media and third-party data in various formats including JSON, XML
- Competent utilising a range of API’s for different purposes
- Understanding of the data classification and security controls required within a regulated environment
- Ability to self-check results to demonstrate reliability of inputs used and accuracy of calculated outputs
- Effectively working with colleagues to help them understand the benefits and differences of big data approaches and enable them to make the transition easily
What are the benefits of working at FairVentures Lab?
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Wide variety of projects providing constant challenges and learning opportunities
- Both broad and deep exposure and engagement across industries and markets as part of a multinational organization
- Work out of Communitech Hub – surrounded by other labs and startups for amazing inspiration and collaboration opportunities
- A small intimate team – focused on and celebrating each other’s successes