Information Technology Advisor - Volunteer in Ethiopia
- Cuso International
- Zelalem Nega, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Monthly Stipend, flights, accommodation, health
- Job Function
- IT & Systems Admin
- Job Type
- Salary Estimate
- 20,000 - 39,999
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
Location Zelalem Nega, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Start Date Nov 2018 - Jan 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Language Requirements English
The Volunteer’s Role
This placement will support the implementation of the project « Midwives Save Lives » (MSL) in Ethiopia. The project is an RMNCAH initiative, implemented by Cuso International in partnership with the Canadian Association of Midwives in four sub-saharan countries (Benin, DRC, Ethiopia and Tanzania), in close collaboration with four national midwifery associations. MSL will contribute to the reduction of maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity through the strengthening of the availability, access, acceptability and quality of reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health services. This placement will support the implementation of the project « Midwives Save Lives » (MSL) in Ethiopia.
The project started in April 2015 and is 4 years in length. More specifically, activities planned will increase the skills and competencies of pre- and in-service midwives, strengthen health systems to work more effectively with and for midwives, address low levels of demand for RMNCAH services at the community-level that impact the health status of girls, women and babies, and strengthen the capacity of Midwifery professional associations to improve the quality and coverage of midwifery care. Central to this project is the universal right of all women to be treated with dignity and respect. This placement will support the work carried out by Farm Radio-Ethiopia in rural communities while boosting their technological capacity and thereby strengthening the ability of Farm Radio to use the technology to better serve their beneficiaries and clients. ices delivered through midwives in the four target countries.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Facilitate workshops and/or create educational materials on themes related to strategic planning. These might vary depending on the volunteer’s expertise and the needs of the association though subjects may include business planning, conflict resolution, strategic planning, etc.
- Perform need-based analyses on associations, including an analysis of the new value chain of an eco-tourism initiative in Yororobá. The analysis should highlight the associations’ institutional needs, along with the beneficiaries’ progress in achieving their professional goals.
- Develop and implement strategic plans and recommendations on future actions of associations/groups based on the collected data.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-Knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications, Windows 10 and earlier versions), Windows servers, Microsoft Active Directory.
-Experience with Terminal Servers and Virtualization (VMware is a plus).
-Experience in network troubleshooting.
-Experience in hardware/software troubleshooting.
-Experience with SharePoint and Office 365, or willingness to learn.
Essential Professional Background:
-MSc/BSc in Computer Science, Software, Computer engineering, management of information systems, or related field. Minimum 3 years of work experience in IT
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months