Senior Electrical Engineer
Position: Senior Electrical Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 7+ Years relevant experience
Education: Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s industrial and research-solutions divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO Motors.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
We’re shipping more and more robots and seeing new uses for our products emerge every day! We need an experienced Electrical Engineer to help us take our innovative designs from napkin sketches to hundreds of pounds of precisely moving parts and facilitate every step in-between.
You will be responsible for the electrical/electronics designs of existing and new industrial robotics products. This will range through the entire design process from initial concept design and cost forecasting through to detailed design, verification and validation, and final release to production. Design challenges will span from high-level system architecture, power distribution to board layout, and field testing
You will be responsible for significant portions of the electrical design for our new and existing products. Our hardware must be many things, but reliability is paramount. It will be your job to build systems that can operate in whatever environment we subject them to, all while keeping the motors turning for our mechanical team and the 1’s and 0’s flowing properly for our software developers.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Electrical design on robotics platforms.
- Diagnostics and design revisions of complex mobile robots and manipulation systems.
- Power distribution and motor systems.
- Low speed digital/analog circuit design.
- Cable assembly design.
- PCB design.
- Integration and testing of prototypes into fearsome robots.
Additional tasks may include:
- Care, feeding, and testing of new products.
- Evaluating how we can apply lessons-learned from other industries to our designs.
- Supporting on-site installation and commissioning of robotics equipment at customer facilities. Occasional travel may be required.
- Supporting the evaluation of existing and new suppliers.
- Certification and compliance reviews.
- Mentoring and assisting with supervision of interns, co-op students, and temporary labour.
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven and, view work as more than just a job., and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- Electrical systems design (7+ yrs)
- Prototyping and debugging experience (7+ yrs)
- Proven Good skills using industry-standard CAE design tools
- Electrical/electronic component selection and validation
- Experience with sensor selection and integration (proximity, LIDAR, cameras etc)
- Comfortable with working closely within a dynamic a multidisciplinary project team
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Altium, Vesys and Solidworks
- Experience with DFx (DFM, DFA, DFT)
- Industrial safety system design and FMEA (3+ yrs)
- Kilowatt-class motor controller design experience
- Standards and/or certification authority experience (UL, CSA, CE, FCC, ESA and NEC (US and Canada)
- Knowledge of communications architectures including ethernet, USB, CAN bus, RS422/485 and I2C
- Battery design and related monitoring technology.
- Full-spectrum PDLC (Product Development Life Cycle) experience.
- 480V/600V 3-phase automation equipment and industrial panel layout and design, construction, and industrial safety system design (7+ yrs)
- Breadth of knowledge includes things mechanical
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.