Backend Developer (Kotlin / Java 8)
- Kitchener, Ontario
- Job Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
Faire (formerly Indigo Fair) is using Machine Learning to change wholesale and help local retailers compete with Amazon and the big box stores.
We're backed by the top VCs in the world (Sequoia, Khosla), we're lead by an experienced team (Square, Google), and we're building a world-class engineering culture of freedom and responsibility.
Our engineering team owns the code that makes our marketplace work. We care about good engineering practice and love to write software that is secure, tested, easy to maintain, and can scale to millions of users. We build minimum viable products, deploy to production multiple times per day, A/B test customer-facing changes, listen to the data, and iterate.
As a backend engineer, you'll collaborate with us to:
- deliver core features of our Kotlin/Java 8 server
- design and build new APIs used by our web site and mobile app
- write integration tests for everything
- share ownership of our product
- help the product team continuously improve our customer's experience
We're excited about you because you have...
- A passion for programming and solving problems with code
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- A love for technology, and an insatiable curiosity for new tools to solve real problems
Bonus/Nice to haves:
- Production experience with a scalable Java or C# backend (an ecommerce or online games server would be ideal)
- Experience with unit/integration tests (we have hundreds, and more are added everyday)
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Java 8
- JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, and Protocol Buffers
You're excited about us because we offer...
- A small team, a relaxed and fun startup, world-class engineering talent, mentorship, and career growth
- Competitive compensation + Equity ($70k-$150k depending on experience and ability)
- Perks and benefits (full extended health and dental plan for you and your family, gym membership, free lunches, drinks, snacks, beer and pretzel game nights, and more!)
- We’re growing fast. You will get in on the ground floor of something that’s going to change an entire industry.
- Learn from the best. Our leadership team is experienced (eg., Google) and led the development of one of the top 15 apps in the US appstore (Square Cash).
- Great technology stack -- Kotlin, no legacy.
- The business makes sense. It’s straightforward, provides clear value to both store owners and to makers. You get to help change an industry for the better.
- It’s beautiful. Work on something that’s well-designed, following the footsteps of Square.
Note: We’re an on-site team in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. We can’t do remote, but we can provide relocation and help with visas if needed.
Are you ready to change an industry? Excited to enter on the ground floor of a fast-paced, high-growth startup in a wide open market?
There are over 1M independent retailers in the US and Canada, doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. Economic data shows: compared to the big box stores, local retailers are flourishing because they offer a better shopping experience. However, the antiquated wholesale industry is holding independent stores back, and making life miserable for the makers trying to reach them.
Our goal at Faire is to rethink the wholesale model with an online marketplace that makes it easy for retailers and makers to connect and succeed together. Instead of flying all over the country to attend trade shows, retailers can visit our site to shop for hundreds of curated makers that they can try out totally risk-free. This revolutionary offering has drawn over 20,000 retailers to the Faire platform in less than a year after our launch.
Our founders led product and engineering for Square Capital ($10B deployed) and the Cash app (Square’s only app in the top 20 of the iOS app store). We're backed by some of the top VC funds including Sequoia, Khosla, and Forerunner, and we were named one of the top 8 companies at our Y-Combinator Demo Day last year.
You can find out a bit more about us here:
- VentureBeat: Indigo Fair Raises $12M to Reinvent Wholesale
- WSJ: Indigo Fair Collects $12M to Supply Series A to Supply Local Stores
- The Decentralization of Retail
We are looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join this movement with us.
To learn more about our culture, please visit our careers page!
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.