Advanced Research Lead and Community Manager
You’re a leader with proven experience managing teams responsible for solving tough problems and achieving incredible technological breakthroughs! You’ve previously held leadership roles with successful technology organizations and now you’re ready for your next big challenge. You possess a broad technical knowledge base, grounded in a technical degree and rounded out through experience working in highly technical research environments. You enjoy a challenge and love solving complex technical problems. You are recognized by others to lead a team with integrity, inspiring and enabling them to deliver. You are flexible and able to react quickly in dynamic environments. You get stuff done.
What You Will Do:
Within 2 weeks understand Thalmic’s next-gen research programs.
- Read documentation, attend meetings, talk to team members.
- Understand tech behind Thalmic’s current product, and next-gen products.
- Understand current project status, resource gaps, and areas for improvement.
Within a month be leading the concept design community.
- Meet with all people weekly - develop team members into world-class researchers.
- Develop career and training plans for people.
- Develop tools and best practices for the advanced research community.
Within a month, be assisting with management of advanced research program. (in collaboration with VP Advanced R&D)
- Identify gaps, help hire new people. This includes managing the entire hiring process - identifying roles, recruiting, sourcing and interviewing.
- Lab resources, staffing, communications, documentation, facilities. Everything needed to keep the group moving as fast as possible.
- Help solve technical problems - shepherding the entire program towards the goal of a validated technology.
- Allocate resources between teams, and with Thalmic’s engineering team.
- Work with project management and supplier management teams to manage supplier programs.
Within 6 months, take over day-to-day management of advanced research projects.
- Responsibility for all aspects above.
- Meet with leads every week. Help them solve problems and move faster. Mentor them for growth.
- Report on project progress, along with recommendations to speed up, slow down, or cancel projects.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.