Software Developer (Backend)
Our mission at ApplyBoard, is to make quality education accessible to students around the world. Through our AI powered platform, students from around the world have access to the best institutions in North America; allowing them to easily pursue their educational dreams. Our experts help streamline the application process from submission to enrollment and take care of all the details in between.
Since our founding in 2015, we now have the largest user-base, in the study abroad educational industry. We are backed by the most prestigious global venture capitalists in Silicon Valley, Toronto and Beijing. Most recently we successfully raised $17 million in our Series A round!
We are a start-up built on diversity, our team comprises of over 50% women, 10 nationalities and over 12 languages spoken! Over the last 3 years we have grown to 70 employees internationally, with team members in Canada, Vietnam, China, India, and Nepal.
We are looking for experienced Software Developer's (Backend) to join our growing Development Team and take our platform to the next level!
In this role you'll see your impact right away, as you immediately work on projects and features that will be rolled out to thousands of daily users! Not mention you'll own your projects and be an integral part of our UX design and requirement processes!
- Apply agile development principles to build organized and versatile code
- Support, fix and update existing applications to improve efficiency and support the growth of extensive software systems
- Document and test code to ensure the quality of the completed work requirement
- Avoid cumbersome solutions through diligent research, experimentation, and testing
- Design enhancements to improve efficiency and streamline the application process
To be successful you'll need:
- Minimum 2+ years of experience in a relevant field
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- Proficiency in designing web applications
- Fluency in Object Oriented Design and software design patterns: understand common design patterns, data structures, and algorithms
- Thorough experience with MySQL, or other relational databases
- Experience writing RESTful API endpoints, and using Git, shell scripting, Linux or macOS
- Bonus: Experience developing production level Ruby on Rails applications
What We Offer:
Besides having the opportunity to work with a brilliant and globally diverse team we also offer:
- Strong compensation packages with great benefits, to keep you healthy and happy!
- Generous vacations, which we encourage use of, because even the brightest of minds need to unplug sometimes!
- The opportunity to work in a post-revenue startup founded by UWaterloo Alumni and work on ApplyBoard's decision making technology used by hundreds of users every day!
- Not to mention the usual perks: the latest hardware, weekly lunches, monthly team events and snacks!
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard, however, only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.