Software Engineer, Embedded Systems
You’re a software engineer with a passion for operating systems and low-level software. You love to collaborate to produce the best software designs and architecture. You actually know what it means to write robust, maintainable code and clean, reusable interfaces. Concurrency and interprocess communication are your friends. Your love of software doesn’t just end in the digital world; the challenge of crafting software to interact with humans in new and groundbreaking ways is something you find exciting.
What you'll do:
- Architect, design, and develop software for a revolutionary new wearable computing system
- Develop low-level firmware to bring up new hardware platforms
- Develop system software (drivers, services, etc.) for embedded platforms running a Linux-based OS
- Work closely with other teams (electrical, software) to optimize performance and power consumption
What you need:
- Strong coding skill in C or C++
- Experience developing software for Linux-based embedded targets
- Understanding of common microprocessor architecture blocks, peripherals, and interfaces
- Track record of delivering high-quality software in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
- Proficiency with a VCS (preferably git)
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
Bonus points for:
- Experience writing software in both bare metal and RTOS-based environments
- Experience with the ARM, Thumb, and Thumb-2 instruction sets
- Experience with multi-processor systems
- Knowledge of Bluetooth/wireless communication
- Familiarity with the GCC or Clang/LLVM toolchains
- Familiarity with debugging using GDB
- Experience with Linux kernel or native Android development
- Knowledge of IP Networking
- Experience with OpenGL Shading Language or surface and window managers
- Familiarity with Python or other scripting languages
- Experience using Agile methodologies including Scrum and Kanban
- Relevant personal projects and open source work
- People leadership experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.