Software Developer - Flight Planning
Software Developer – Flight Planning
Position Type: Full Time
Department: Software Development
Location: Waterloo Office
NAVBLUE Inc., an Airbus Company, is excited to announce the availability of several new software development opportunities within a number of our fast-growing teams. If you have a passion for flying and enjoy working with an international, challenging, rewarding, fast-paced, collaborative environment to further develop and grow your skills, surrounded and guided by the best creative minds in the global aviation industry, this is a place for you. Our innovative software development teams consists of talented developers who are enthusiastic about coding, skilled at creative problem solving, focus on quality and are working daily in an truly agile environment on developing the next generation of flight operations’ applications empowering the future of aviation!
At NAVBLUE, and powered by our extended family at Airbus, you will be able to shape the future of the digital aviation industry by working on several of the best in the industry flagship products such as our award winning flight planning solution, flight tracking, crew scheduling and other 30+ different applications enabling pilots, dispatchers, flight engineers and other aviation personnel on daily basis to deliver a safe, efficient, and reliable flight operations all over the world.
NAVBLUE, An Airbus Company, has an opening for a Software Developer to join our Dispatch Development team, which bears responsibility for NAVBLUE’s N-Flight Planning product.
Our flight planning software helps operations personnel:
- Reduce workload through third-party system integration and automated functionality.
- Find and optimize flight routings.
- Fly aircraft as efficiently as possible by minimizing time, fuel, or cost.
- Maintain situational awareness throughout the course of their flights by providing weather, pilot notification reports, and real-time alerting of critical aviation bulletins.
All of this is done while providing the necessary adherence to different worldwide regulatory organizations to which carriers are accountable.
The Flight Planning Development Group works as a very cohesive unit. We are a small but growing collection of teams responsible for a complex software system that dispatches tens of thousands of flights daily in every area of the world. The company counts on us to provide product expertise to a number of areas of the business, and this results in a high degree of freedom and autonomy when it comes to influencing the design and direction of our work. We can easily see the impact of our contributions, and we’re invested in what we do. That’s why engagement is favoured over qualifications. We’re about getting the job done, being pragmatic instead of dogmatic, and we’re in it to win it.
- Develop great, complete, performant, supportable, and reliable software of the highest caliber
- Meet, communicate, and collaborate with the team for the purposes of status updates, design, troubleshooting, mentoring, learning, task analysis/estimation, and code review
- Act as an owner, resource, and advocate for your product; helping areas of the business accordingly and look for opportunities for improvement
- Participate in team on-call rotation for front-line support staff escalation
- Exceptional object-oriented design skills
- Strong C++ skills
- Significant relevant experience and comfort with the Linux development and run-time environments, as well as the GNU tool-chain
- Relevant work experience with SQL, and the MySQL/MariaDB RDBMS in particular; knowledge related to database design is an asset
- Knowledge of design patterns, web application development, multi-tier systems, and service-oriented architecture are all assets
- Experience with XML and related technologies like XSD
- Must work effectively with others in a team environment; familiarity with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, in particular) is a plus
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal
- Eagerness to learn, grow, and contribute
Additional Team-Required Skills:
- Strong Perl skills
- Pattern search and regular expressions
- C#/ASP.NET, jQuery, AngularJS are all assets
- Web-service design, SOAP, WSDL
- Moderate Perl skills are beneficial
- Exceptional C++ and performant algorithm design skills
- Performance tuning
- Interest in combinatorics & optimization, DSL and grammars, and graph theory are assets
- Intermediate: 5 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
Located in the heart of University of Waterloo’s David Johnston Research + Technology Park, NAVBLUE is close to shops, restaurants, gyms, daycare, and many other amenities, and only 10 minutes away from Hwy 85. The modern design of our suite on the second floor of the Accelerator Centre draws its inspiration from airport terminals, and features bright, open work stations, rather than boxed-in cubicles. As part of our family, you will enjoy:
- Flexible hours
- Free parking
- Strong work-life balance with scarce requirements for overtime or extra hours
- Laid back, friendly environment
- Casual dress code (shorts and jeans welcome!)
- Competitive group benefits plan
- RRSP matching program
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- An active social committee (which usually involves some delicious free food)
- Lunch hour sporting activities (hockey, soccer, volleyball etc.) with a shower on site
- And much more!
Not to mention, the aviation industry’s ongoing digital transformation means we must continually innovate and rise to the many challenges faced by our geographically diverse customers. We are always looking for creative ways to improve our processes and technologies to be a leader in the highly competitive aviation market.
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in joining the NAVBLUE team are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via email to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus company, welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is a leading global provider of flight operations solutions, including aeronautical charts, navigation data solutions, flight planning, aircraft performance software (take-off/landing, weight and balance), and crew planning solutions. These products directly support millions of flights each year and help NAVBLUE customers maximize efficiency, reduce costs, ensure compliance with complex national and international safety regulations, and effectively deliver their services.
Through digital and collaborative innovation, our passionate and customer-focused team develops solutions to enhance the safety and efficiency of air transport. Over the last few years, Airbus has been supportive of various initiatives such as Going Digital, Performance Based Navigation Services, Air Traffic Management Modernization Programs, FlySmart on iOS and other digital projects related to new aircraft technologies; the launch of NAVBLUE was therefore a natural step to further develop its Flight Operations and Air Traffic Management Portfolio.
NAVBLUE is a fully owned subsidiary of Services by Airbus, fueled by the agility of Airbus ProSky and Navtech (acquired in 2016), and the pioneering spirit of Airbus, NAVBLUE was created in July 2016 with one mission: lead aviation into the digital age.
NAVBLUE is based in Hersham (UK), Cardiff (UK), Toulouse (France), Waterloo, ON (Canada), Halifax, NS (Canada), with other offices all around the world.
More search results
After-Hours Support Representative (Casual/Contra…
Product Prototyper (Coop / Intern)
Engineer (Chemical, Environmental or Biochemical)
W&Y Environmental International Inc.
Oculys Health Informatics
Incident Management Centre Representative
Descartes Systems Group