Director of International Trade Compliance, Teledyne Imaging
Teledyne DALSA is a subsidiary of Teledyne Technologies Incorporated ("Teledyne"), a U.S. publicly listed enterprise, and specializes in the design, development and manufacture of high performance CMOS and CCD image sensors, modular expandable cameras and customized semiconductor products. Teledyne DALSA's products are used by customers worldwide in machine vision, document scanning, image capture, surveillance, process monitoring, manufacturing inspection, medical imaging, and multi media applications.
As part of our continuing growth in this high technology market, Teledyne DALSA is recruiting for the following position:
Trade Compliance Director
The Director of International Trade Compliance (the “Director”) is responsible for managing the trade compliance function for the Teledyne DALSA and Teledyne e2v groups within the Teledyne Digital Imaging Segment (“Imaging”). In this role, the Director will support the strategic development and execution of Teledyne Digital Imaging’s business by building and proactively managing strong export and import compliance programs in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and the requirements of Imaging’s parent corporation, Teledyne Technologies Incorporated (“Teledyne”).
The Director will also act as the Trade Compliance Lead (“CBU”) for the DALSA and e2v groups within the Teledyne Digital Imaging Segment. In this capacity, the Director will support and lead trade compliance personnel at Imaging’s Business Units around the world to ensure that trade compliance activities are performed in a professional, efficient, consistent and compliant manner. Countries in which Teledyne Imaging conducts business include Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Spain, China and Hong Kong, Japan, and South Korea. The Director will also serve as the primary point of contact with the Teledyne Corporate International Trade Compliance (“CITC”) Office.
This role demands exceptional communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills, as well as strong trade compliance expertise. The Director must have strong collaboration and effective relationship management capabilities. This is a hands-on role, and the candidate must have strong organization skills, excel at process implementation, and have the ability to work with employees based in multiple countries. This is a full-time position with a dual reporting relationship to the Group President, Teledyne DALSA and Teledyne e2v Imaging and the Teledyne CITC Office. These reporting relationships will include participation in setting annual goals and performance reviews.
Although the preferred location would be the DALSA facility in Waterloo, Ontario, the position can be based at any DALSA group or e2v Imaging facility in Canada or the U.S. Frequent domestic and international travel is a requirement of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and manage Teledyne Imaging’s trade compliance programs in compliance with applicable laws and regulations and Teledyne policies.
- Implement Teledyne trade compliance policies, and develop and implement department procedures and work instructions in collaboration with each business function.
- Develop, implement, enhance and maintain trade compliance management systems, processes and process improvements to ensure efficiency and compliance.
- Supervise Teledyne Imaging’s Trade Compliance personnel, including assigning workloads, setting priorities, providing guidance and assistance, and reviewing performance.
- Manage and support the performance by Imaging Trade Compliance personnel of daily trade compliance activities for Imaging, including:
- Export classification and jurisdiction determinations
- >Export permit and licensing applications and administration
- Technology transfers / Deemed exports
- Controlled Goods Program oversight
- Shipment clearance
- >Denied party, proliferation and diversion screening
- Review and approval of visitor and travel requests
- Import classification, valuation, country of origin analysis, assists reporting
- Free Trade Agreement analysis and qualification
- Management of Customs Brokers
- Record-keeping and accurate documentation
- Liaise with Government regulatory agencies on import or export compliance issues, and respond to inquiries as required.
- Conduct regular trade compliance self-assessments for companies throughout the Teledyne Imaging, and identify and recommend improvements to improve efficiency and ensure compliance.
- Manage annual trade compliance training for all functions within Teledyne Imaging.
- Support Teledyne trade compliance audits and implement corrective actions, as required.
- Report and assist the CITC Office with investigations of any incidences of purported non-compliance with export/import laws and regulations.
- Assist the CITC Office with various trade compliance projects and initiatives.
- Keep abreast of changes in trade laws and regulations (including Free Trade Agreements and other duty deferral programs) to ensure compliance.
- Provide reports for the CITC regarding significant trade compliance matters and status, as required.
Required Qualifications and Background
- Post-secondary degree is required, preferably in commerce, business, law, or international trade.
- Significant experience (10 years) and expertise in domestic and international trade compliance.
- Experience and working knowledge of Canadian, U.S. and other country export and import laws and regulations, including customs laws and controlled goods regulations.
- Specific experience with trade compliance in the high technology imaging and semiconductor markets and industries is preferred.
- Strong leadership, communication (written, oral, and presentations) and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in training, mentoring and managing personnel.
- Ability to manage a high volume of work at a detailed level in a fast-paced environment, working with frequent interruptions and minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in managing complex trade compliance matters and developing innovative solutions with a successful record of problem solving.
- Ability to interact effectively with other functions, including Engineering, Program Management, Supply Chain, and Logistics, as well as Business Unit Trade Compliance personnel, and the CITC Office.
- Absolute commitment to performing job in compliance with the highest ethical standards
Please quote file number TC0617 and include references with your resume.
Teledyne DALSA offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Relocation assistance is also available. Teledyne DALSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants should apply to this position through our website at www.teledynedalsa.com. No phone calls or agencies please. Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. We thank everyone who applies