Help Us Make History
At Leafly, we’re leading the creation of a brand new industry around a product that has been illegal and stigmatized for the past 100+ years. While we’ve made some great strides since our founding in 2011, we’re looking for the next group of talented individuals who are going to make this happen.
Leafly believes that cannabis is good for the health and happiness of the world. We help consumers find cannabis products in their local community, and by doing so, help retail stores and product companies advertise their products to a uniquely captive and educated audience.
We are building the technology products that will drive the cannabis business into the future. To do that, we’re going to continue to reimagine the role cannabis can play in people’s lives around the globe. We love working with people who are passionate, creative, execution-focused and driven to do great things every day.
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Developer to join the Engineering team at our Canadian Headquarters, in Toronto.
What you'll be doing:
A Senior Software Developer at Leafly gets the chance to work with a small team of talented engineers across our entire product suite. Developers in our Toronto office will focus specifically on integration and internationalization efforts. Your work will be touched by millions of passionate users. You will get to break new ground in a new industry. You’ll face complex and interesting challenges as you deliver key strategic initiatives that drive Leafly forward. You’ll get to work daily and directly with your stakeholders and see the impact your work has for our users and customers.
- Work together with both collocated and remote (Seattle, Baltimore) product, data/analytics, and UI/UX teams to identify problems - then design, plan, and deliver solutions
- Continually improve our processes by volunteering new tools or approaches to developer productivity and product quality
- Architect, design, build, test, and maintain new features across the entire Leafly product suite (consumer website, content platform, APIs, administrative portals, native Android & iOS apps)
- Lead by example in delivering high-quality solutions that scale and adhere to SDLC and quality best practices: design & code reviews, prototyping, multi-level testing
- Mentor other developers and foster a collaborative environment of shared growth & learning
- 5+ years of developing software in a professional team setting using Agile methodologies
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and think on your feet.
- Experience with the Shopify platform.
- Ability to embrace, learn, and apply unknown or new technologies to new or existing problems.
- Expert understanding of object oriented design principles, exposure to functional programming practices, and experience applying them to large-scale solutions
- Experience with latest web technologies, tools, and practices: Responsive design, TDD, Angular, LESS / SASS, TypeScript, Gulp, Karma/Mocha/Chai
- Experience with more than one server-side technology (e.g., Node.js, Python, C#, Java, Go)
- Experience developing & supporting high-scale and high-performance web applications in a cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- BS degree in Computer Science / Engineering or similar field.
- Comfortable being Client facing
- Strong problem solving skills & intuitive
- Solution oriented with a positive “can-do” attitude
- Ability to quickly react and adapt to changing environments
- Ambitious and a self-starter
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable, and can establish trust with their teams
- Collaborative with internal and external teams
- Organized and will geek out over process and improving process
- Genuinely excited about the prospect of shaping a national conversation about cannabis
- Bonus points for experience leading an agile team of engineers and/or Open Source project contributions
*Have you experienced the Leafly app? We are actively seeking individuals that understand our product and have a zest for learning more. Download on iOS and Android today and subscribe to our newsletter for updates.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. Leafly is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Please, no phone calls/no recruiting agencies.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.