At Carnegie Technologies, we are a strong technical team that builds communications products for the multitude of networks available today. Whether that’s combining LTE and Wi-Fi together for better-quality VoIP calls that aren’t disrupted when you switch networks, aggregating networks together for smoother video streaming, giving your smartphone the ability to place calls over satellite from anywhere on the planet, or constructing end-to-end IoT systems that take advantage of the latest wireless protocols, we’re always looking for ways to get the best experience at the lowest operational cost.
We come from many different backgrounds and levels of expertise – but to all of us, craft and functionality are equally important. We constantly learn and hone our skills and incorporate those experiences into every line of code. We don’t ship “fast” solutions – we ship the right ones for our customers. We’re also leaders that create quiet time to solve hard problems and the space to focus on the best result.
Our software engineering team is spread across our offices in Kitchener-Waterloo, Canada; Austin, Texas; and Romsey, UK. You’ll have the opportunity to work with our super talented team of people, from experts in networking, machine learning, and applications to some of the pioneers of Wi-Fi itself. You might even get your name on a patent!
Our technology stack is carefully chosen to give our developers a great development experience – you’ll spend your time building quality software, not on repetitive tasks. We’ve built tools to ensure our code is consistently formatted, to release after commit, and to automate documentation; and we rely on a shared set of engineering principles when reviewing every line of code we write. Common technologies we use are:
- Mobile: Java (Android), Objective-C (iOS), C++ (cross-platform)
- Front-End: React, Angular 2+ (with Ionic/Cordova)
- Back-end: Node.js (with TypeScript), Go, RabbitMQ, Postgres, Cassandra, Kafka
- Build & Deploy: Git, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Prometheus
Come join us!
Web developers at Carnegie work on the back-end systems that drive our communications products. From web services to analytics and more, you’ll be building high-scale containerized systems that are highly available and auto-scale when needed.
- You’ll be primarily coding in Go or TypeScript, using tools like node.js, Kubernetes, and Docker
- You’ll spend a good chunk of your time coding - and code-reviewing others to ensure we maintain a high standard of quality
- You’ll spend the rest of your time on architecture, design, and prototyping
- You’ll primarily be building back-end web-services, but occasionally do a quick UI to make your services easier to access or test
- You’ll be working on our IoT, Satellite, and Network Convergence products
- You’ll be developing on Linux – we like Visual Studio Code, but you have your choice of IDE
- You’ll be working closely with our product/project management, QA, and operations teams to build the right products for our customers – products that work reliably, every time
- You’ll be pushed by your colleagues to deliver quality products in a reasonable timeframe – and trusted to seek input from then take the best action
- You have a wide knowledge of computer science/software engineering – through a related degree or diploma, but we also recognize practical experience
- You are comfortable programming full-stack applications, and have been coding – professionally or personally – for years
- You are excited to work with technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, Prometheus, Cassandra, Kafka, and RabbitMQ
- You have some experience running services on AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- You have serious coding skills, in multiple languages
- You understand HTTP headers, authentication, caching, websockets, and the limitations of REST
- You have some experience with HTML, CSS – enough to be dangerous
- You want to work in a small, fast-moving team with lots of responsibility (and few roadblocks to getting things done)