It isn’t often that a company internally invests in a truly altering development effort. Ontario Die International (ODI) has started the AkAI project (Advanced Kinematics and Artificial Intelligence) to further our capabilities by researching and developing technologies using robotics and advanced software including perception and machine learning to achieve manufacturing tasks with robotics that are currently only possible with highly skilled manned labour. The team is firing on all pistons developing software and hardware solutions using some of the latest technologies – ROS, custom built robots, and perception using cameras and blue laser scanners. The multidisciplinary team is built up of a combination of experienced engineers and talented career starters in the fields of mechanical, mechatronics, electrical, and software who are in constant collaboration towards a common goal. A factory and machine shop are within the same building in which we develop and test solutions.
The team is growing and is currently in need of an individual to create and conduct test plans for automated manufacturing processes, analyze the results, derive models, and apply them to improve the control process. You will be expected to work directly with the robots and automated equipment, and learning on the job is a must. As a testing and modeling engineer, you will liaison between the mechanical design, software development, and production teams, and develop and enhance the technology to the point where it is production ready. A start-up culture within a mature and successful company – technical challenges and high responsibility with job stability and healthy project funding. This is what ODI can offer you.
- Testing all aspects of the product/system like function/component, system, performance, regression and service.
- Work with development team to identify and capture test cases, ensure version management
- Setting up of test environments, designing test plans, developing test cases/scenarios/usage cases, and executing these cases.
- Automate tests and logging of results
- Providing feedback on usability and serviceability, trace the result to quality risk and report it to relevant people.
- Plan and execute test plans based on performance and functional requirements
- Plan and execute experiments to derive control models for steel forming
- Plan and execute and report on validation tests on model
- Hands-on - able to work intimately with automated machines to understand, test, and model their behaviors
- Application of scientific method
- Proven record of design and execution of test plans
- Expert level of test documentation
- Strong logical and analytical skills, with the ability to creatively troubleshoot and resolve challenging problems
- Utilizing knowledge acquired from testing to improve the system - mechanical and control
- Utilizing sensors, DAQ, and other apparatus to collect data
- Ability to read, understand, and modify control source code - C++, C# preferred
- Intermediate understanding of steel behavior
Bonus points for:
- Metallurgy Background
- Robotics experience – Work, academic, or hobby
- Agile development, Jira
- Source control - Git, Mercurial
- Perception – point cloud and optical cameras, PCL and OpenCV
- Solid modelling and CAD – SolidWorks, AutoCAD
- PLC/IPC programming – Beckhoff, Allen Bradley
You want to work for an established company that recognizes the virtue of automation and robotics. You are driven, calm, and never would a half done project bear your name. You are motivated by making an impact on the technological and commercial trajectory of the company you work for. You derive non-linear models for breakfast and your dessert is testing edge cases. If this sounds like the right role for you, Apply!
Submit a cover letter along with your resume to the email email@example.com with “Robotics Test and Modeling Engineer " in the subject. We encourage you to provide supporting documentation, including testimonials, portfolio pictures/videos, references, or other indications of past work. This is a permanent, full-time position with benefits.