Software Engineer, Modern C++
You're an accomplished software engineer with a passion for crafting creative solutions to complex problems. You love working cross-functionally with engineers and designers to develop solutions which bridge the unique challenges presented in multi-disciplinary problems. You're thoughtful, creative, and quality conscious, and you're excited to use your talent to help us push the boundaries of human-computer interaction.
What You Will Do:
- Architect, design, and develop software to enable new wearable devices
- Write robust, reusable, cross-platform software components to interface with bleeding-edge hardware
- Work closely with other teams (firmware, electrical, mechanical) to solve new cross-functional problems
- Within 15 days you will:
- Be assigned to a project team and start attending their scrum meetings
- Take on a few bugs/tasks that allow you to ramp up and learn the code base
- Build some unit tests so that you learn how to use our unit test framework
- Within 30 days you will:
- Participate in design discussions about some of the larger problems the project team is trying to solve
- Take on larger tasks in the project
- Take ownership of a feature in the project; designing a solution and presenting it to your team members for peer review
- Beyond 30 days you will:
- Work with other team members to come up with ideas/solutions to push your team to raise the bar
- Architect designs for new tools/software systems as required by your project team
- Participate in design discussions offering constructive feedback and new ideas
What You Need:
- Desire to be more than just a coder and a willingness to learn about new engineering domains to gain a full system level understanding
- Strong C++ skills (we’re using C++14)
- Strong intuition for software design and architecture
- Ability to break down complex requirements into well-defined development tasks
- Track record of delivering high-quality software in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum four years of relevant work experience)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bonus Points For:
- Experience working with embedded hardware and electronics
- Experience with image processing libraries such as OpenCV
- Experience with Python and/or other scripting languages
- Experience with cross-platform development and deployment (Windows, Linux, macOS)
- Relevant personal projects and open source work
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.