Radio System Administrator
- Waterloo Regional Police Service
- Job Function
- IT & Systems Admin
- Job Type
- Full time
- Salary Estimate
- 80,000 - 99,000
- Company Size
- Enterprise (500+)
Radio System Administrator
Waterloo Regional Police Service
With a budget of over $150 million and more than 1000 sworn and civilian members, The Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) requires an experienced Radio Systems Specialist to fill the role of Radio System Administrator.
The WRPS delivers exceptional police services to more than 575,000 residents. The Waterloo Region is a vital and prosperous community in southern Ontario that offers the unique combination of a growing urban centre comprised of three municipalities, Cambridge, Kitchener, and Waterloo surrounded by four rural communities, North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich. You will work in a community proud of its diversity and within an organization focused on its people.
The Radio System Administrator will support the operation of the Waterloo Region P25 Radio Network for all system users, and identify and incorporate technological and system enhancements to continually improve business efficiency, quality, and availability of the communication system.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of P25 Simulcast radio system ( Motorola experience would be preferred) and Internet Protocol networking technology normally acquired through the attainment of a College Diploma in Electronics, Radio Maintenance or Repair, or related field is required. Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in electronics or radio installation maintenance or repair may be substituted for educational requirement.
- Minimum of five years of progressive experience required working and administering P25 radio systems, planning and managing maintenance programs, performing radio repairs from the system to subscriber radio level which includes experience and working with software and hardware used in networking and radio systems, communication service monitor equipment and service utility programs, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and programming software, embedded computers, firmware design and programming.
- Experience with P25 system management software and integrated subsystems such as encryptions, programming, and reprogramming and voice logging, and system reporting.
- Working knowledge of all sub-system components within radio systems and their inter-relationships including microwave, mobile, portable and base radios and repeaters, diesel generators, standby and back-up power systems, alarm reporting system, telephone and radio system switches, dispatch computer, communications consoles, voicemail systems, console and communications centre voice recording systems, network tie lines and order wires to ensure optimum operation of a public safety grade radio system.
- Organizational skills required to adapt to changing conditions and shifting priorities while ensuring task deadlines are met utilizing available resources.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Communication skills required to be able to interact with members of all levels with diplomacy and tact, to convey detailed information to voice radio system users and explain implications, and to communicate with staff and equipment suppliers and representatives from outside agencies.
- A valid Class ‘G’ Ontario Driver’s License with no more than six (6) demerit points required to travel within and outside of the Region.
- Ability to meet police security clearance requirements and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to meet testing requirements for the position.
- Ability to participate as an effective team member and to support and project values compatible with the organization.
For further details about this position and a complete job description, please visit our website www.wrps.on.ca.
Why join WRPS?
- Ongoing professional development
- Excellent benefits and pension
- Dynamic, exciting work environment
- Strong, supportive leadership
- Employee fitness and wellness programs
- Salary range: $82,865 - $97,488
Please submit a resume indicating the position title by July 16, 2018 at 4pm to:
Mail: Human Resources Branch, Waterloo Regional Police Service
200 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, Ontario N3H 5M1
If you require accommodation in completing the application process, or with any portion of the application process or interview, please email the WRPS at HumanResources@wrps.on.ca.
Diversity through inclusion – we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.