Fixture & Automation Controls Designer
You’re a controls designer with a real passion for automating and interfacing with actuators, cameras, sensors, and other hardware building blocks. You love to collaborate with other teams to understand requirements, solve problems, and work toward solutions in support of R&D and Manufacturing goals. You understand the importance of data collection and analysis for the purpose making engineering decisions and enhancing manufacturing processes.
What You Will Do:
You will be responsible for the controls design, integration, and support of R&D and Manufacturing fixtures and automation equipment.
Within 15 days you will:
- Gain familiarity with Thalmic’s current product, automation goals, and current standards.
Within 30 days you will:
- Be assigned an automation controls project where you will work with a multidisciplinary team and be responsible for hardware selection, electrical panel and field wiring design, programming, wiring, and commissioning.
- Attend design reviews to understand project requirements.
- Begin component specification and engaging external vendors to select required hardware.
Beyond 30 days you will:
- Continue to support fixture and automation equipment for R&D and manufacturing.
- Support integration and troubleshooting of new and existing equipment.
What You Need:
- 2-5 years of experience in an automation controls design role
- Experience with automation electrical design
- Working knowledge of PLCs and HMIs
- Knack for Programming (Ladder Logic, C++, Python, Java, or other languages)
- Familiarity with IT/Networking
- Troubleshooting of electrical, PLC, and HMI systems
Bonus Points For:
- Prior experience with articulated robot programming
- Hands on experience with electrical panel / field wiring
- Manufacturing experience
- Experience with Rockwell Studio 5000, Beckhoff Twincat, Ignition
- Machine vision experience
- Consumer electronics experience
- Previous work experience in a startup
- Launched a product
- Worked in wearables
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.