You love to make algorithms that work and add value. You have an intrinsic motivation to solve complex problems and build solutions to process large amounts of data. You have a data driven mind-set and you know how to create visualizations from data in order to tell a story. You can explain why a naïve Bayes classifier is naïve, and what a random forest is. You are eager to learn new techniques and how to apply them. You understand the strengths and weaknesses of different models and can independently choose the right approach. You like to bring theory into practice and enjoy writing applications to put your models into production, dealing with real data to help real users.
You’re looking to be a part of a high-growth, entrepreneurial culture that requires collaboration across multiple teams. Above all, you want to make a positive impact on the lives of our users through a combination of new experiences and form factors.
What you'll do:
- Within 15 days:
- Understand the product vision, strategy, tenets, and roadmap
- Understand the target consumer, the research insights, and the ongoing research
- Understand, validate, and enrich some of the existing analysis
- Complete ongoing 1:1s with your key partners, peers, and team to understand their challenges and how data can help improve products in development
- Within 30 days:
- You will have established effective working relationships with product managers, product marketers, user researchers and software developers
- You have build a firm understanding of how to access and use our unique data, which could range from user profiles and event data through to high frequency motion sensor data
- You are translating data into meaningful insights about how our users use our products
- Translate models and analysis in visual and accessible presentations for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Within 90 days:
- You intimately understand how to get the ‘pulse of the user’ from data
- Identify product ideas, define hypotheses and validate them with data analysis
- Define algorithms and models to create new functionalities for our products and services
- Code and test new algorithms for prototype and production applications
- Contribute to setting up Data Science as a discipline within Thalmic
What you need:
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Econometrics or similar
- 1-3 years of hands-on experience in Data Science or an analytical function, and data driven software development
- Proficient at analysing large data sets and the tools for analysing them
- Broad set of technical and programming skills: Python, MySQL and NoSQL databases, command line tools
- Strong practical knowledge of statistical concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
- Creativity and initiative
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Apache Superset and Snowplow
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.