Intellectual Property Specialist
You’re a patent professional with about 2-5 years of experience but you’re not overly interested in law. You got into the patent field because you love technology and you love to write. You have a thorough background in physics and/or engineering that enables you to quickly understand new technologies and foresee where they may lead. You can hold your own in technical discussions with PhD scientists and engineers.
As an Intellectual Property Specialist at Thalmic, you will learn new things every single day. You will identify inventions as they happen and you will protect those inventions by writing and prosecuting patent applications. You will always have a patent draft on the go, and an office action response as well, and you’ll be a key player in developing and implementing our patent strategy. If you haven’t done so already, this experience can help qualify you to sit for the Canadian patent agent examinations and become a registered patent agent in Canada. Registered patent agents are welcome to apply, but you must be excited to draft!
What You’ll Do:
- Within your first month:
- Familiarize yourself with our technologies
- Familiarize yourself with our existing patent portfolio and patent-related procedures
- Draft at least one complete patent application based on assigned subject matter from within the IP team
- Draft at least one office action response based on an assigned case from within the IP team
- Identify several new candidate ideas for patenting
- Within your first 6 months:
- Establish yourself as a direct liaison to our technical teams by attending their meetings and exploring what they’re working on
- Gradually transition from drafting patent applications that you’ve been assigned, to drafting patent applications that you select from the pool of inventions identified by IP team, to regularly drafting patent applications for concepts that you identify at technical meetings (~2 per month)
- Continue drafting office action responses (~1 per month) as allocated within the IP team, though you’ll be selecting cases based on fit/priority rather than having them assigned
- Assist with the coordination and review of patent applications drafted for Thalmic by external drafting resources
- From 6-months onwards:
- Operate daily as a critical IP perspective across various technical groups
- Regularly identify inventions and report back to the IP team
- Continue to draft new applications at a rate of ~2 per month
- Continue preparing office action responses as allocated within the IP team
- Continue to assist with the coordination and review of patent applications drafted for Thalmic by external drafting resources
- Help develop and implement our overall patent portfolio strategy based on your insights on where the tech is going
What you will need:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering physics, electrical engineering, or a similar subject matter
- About 2-5 years’ experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in Canada / US
- Exceptional English language skills
- Proven capacity to quickly understand complicated technologies
Bonus points for:
- Registered patent agent in Canada / US
- Coding experience
- Experience with software patents
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.