Sr Manager Software Engineering Architecture
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Req ID#: 12223BR - Sr Manager Software Engineering Architecture
Responsible for driving the creation and adoption of architecture processes, standards, and engineering practices for the Software Engineering organization. Builds long-term vision for application architecture that will enable a simpler and more efficient future state. Needs to understand diverse solution architectures and identify opportunities for standardization, componentization and framework definition.
- Represents the Product Development organization by answering the “why” behind our accountability and escalates when first principles would be compromised.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the engineering organization such as: sharing architectural expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, and building communities.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities, and individual learning.
- Provides guidance for technology and engineering design review. Coaches the engineering team and is widely recognized and sought out as a mentor on technology.
- Coaches and mentors engineering staff for skill development and experience.
- Responsible for assessing future products and determining what new skills and tools the team will need to successfully develop new solution offerings.
- Manages personnel activities of staff (i.e., hires, trains, appraises, rewards, motivates, disciplines, recommends termination as necessary, etc.).
- Responsible for forming a team that has the necessary talents and skills to successfully perform engineering tasks.
- Works with Management team to develop and implement annual operational plan to improve department’s ability to fulfill corporate responsibilities in the most effective and efficient manner.
- Communicates corporate objectives and direction to the team.
- Provides input into annual budget. This includes forecasting expenses and the capital assets required to support the solution roadmaps.
- Identifies and researches relevant technologies, performs proof of concepts and prototypes to optimize solutions and ensure sustainability, and recommends application of such technologies to future solution architectures.
- Ensures that chosen technology is updated or replaced as needed; understands and balances the complete lifecycle of technical choices.
- Solves complex system issues, determines root cause, and designs resolutions.
- Advises and directs development team to build complex software solutions for our customers installed in-house and/or in an outsourcing environment.
- Establishes and directs research programs pertaining to the development of new products and enhancements to existing solutions.
- Drives continuous quality improvement initiatives to ensure that Software Engineering procedures and processes are reviewed on a regular basis, and refined/updated as needed.
- Defines the architecture principles, standards and guidelines regarding the proper use and deployment of our solutions, data and technology.
- Creates and manages key architecture assets.
- Advocate technology best practices that enable high performing teams.
- Enforce engineering excellence and compliance.
- Ensures engineering practices are implemented for functionality, performance, and coverage to ensure quality, and ensure compliance with standards and best practices.
- Works with the team to implement and monitor required procedures and policies that result in consistent success.
- Leads the definition of Software Engineering related processes and consistent best practices, and drives communication of procedural expectations within Development and across impacted functional areas of the company.
- Works with executives from across the company to provide architectural recommendations and guidance for the future.
- Ensure the organization and solution architectures align with the business model of the enterprise while providing architectural direction and communicating architectural decisions, plans, goals and strategies for individual solutions.
- Delivers architectural initiatives that drive revenue, reduce total cost of ownership and improve efficiency to align with business strategy.
- Develops and maintains current and planned state architectural blueprints.
- Works with Engineers and/or Architects to ensure product architecture and implementation is maintainable and extensible.
- Evaluates and evolves the existing software system applications and architecture in various areas as needed.
- Identifies, assesses, and develops mitigations to product and process risks.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related field
- 5+ years of management/leadership experience with increasing levels of responsibility in a software development organization
- 10+ years of experience working through the design, development and release cycles delivering high quality secure software solutions to the market
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple application development teams and take ownership of multiple solutions
- Communication and collaboration skills across all levels of the organization
- Understanding of software architecture and the ability to work with developers and vendor partners at a technical level to design flexible, scalable, and secure systems
- Expert knowledge of computer and network systems hardware, software theory, practice, concepts and technology relevant to organizational vision
- Sufficient business knowledge to assess impact of applied technology on customer’s business processes
- Proficient in the techniques that go into designing complex systems, including discovery and analysis, formulation of solution context, identification of solution alternatives and their assessment, technology selection, and design configuration - Experience leading a large team across multiple geographic locations
- Strong knowledge in designing for optimal performance, security, and scalability for enterprise solutions
- Experience managing application development and support in multiple languages, OS platforms and database environments
- Be able to excel in idea generation, evaluation, and prioritization, customer and partner engagement, and building/ developing great engineering teams
- Ability to independently learn and actively seek new skills and knowledge to advance the development capabilities of the organization
- Advanced degree
Background check required.
Deluxe Corporation and Deluxe companies will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance with any part of the application or hiring process, please contact us at DeluxeCareers@deluxe.com
Department: Information Technology
Remote Work Location: No
Employment Type: Senior
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Shift Type: Traditional
More search results
Intermediate/Senior Software Engineer – Imaging S…
Huron Technologies International Inc.
Marketing and Lead Generation Manager
Project Manager | eSolutionsGroup (a GHD company)
Front End Angular Security Builder Extraordinaire