Software Developer - Flight Planning
Software Developer – Flight Planning
Position Type: Full Time
Department: Software Development
Location: Waterloo Office
NAVBLUE, An Airbus Company, has an opening for a Software Developer to join our Dispatch Development team, which bears responsibility for NAVBLUE’s N-Flight Planning product.
Our flight planning software helps operations personnel:
- Reduce workload through third-party system integration and automated functionality.
- Find and optimize flight routings.
- Fly aircraft as efficiently as possible by minimizing time, fuel, or cost.
- Maintain situational awareness throughout the course of their flights by providing weather, pilot notification reports, and real-time alerting of critical aviation bulletins.
All of this is done while providing the necessary adherence to different worldwide regulatory organizations to which carriers are accountable.
At NAVBLUE, software developers of all levels are responsible for the coding, maintenance, and support of their product, and are encouraged to aid in the design of new software or enhancements to existing software. Assigned projects may be specified in varying levels of detail and complexity. The developer is expected to work collaboratively with their peers in all aspects of their activities, and may also be involved in determining the scope and details of assigned tasks depending on their abilities. The developer works under moderate supervision but is expected to self-manage at a level required by their team lead.
The Flight Planning Development Group works as a very cohesive unit. We are a small but growing collection of teams responsible for a complex software system that dispatches tens of thousands of flights daily in every area of the world. The company counts on us to provide product expertise to a number of areas of the business, and this results in a high degree of freedom and autonomy when it comes to influencing the design and direction of our work. We can easily see the impact of our contributions, and we’re invested in what we do. That’s why engagement is favoured over qualifications. We’re about getting the job done, being pragmatic instead of dogmatic, and we’re in it to win it.
- Develop great, complete, performant, supportable, and reliable software of the highest caliber
- Meet, communicate, and collaborate with the team for the purposes of status updates, design, troubleshooting, mentoring, learning, task analysis/estimation, and code review
- Act as an owner, resource, and advocate for your product; helping areas of the business accordingly and look for opportunities for improvement
- Participate in team on-call rotation for front-line support staff escalation
- Exceptional object-oriented design skills
- Strong C++ skills
- Significant relevant experience and comfort with the Linux development and run-time environments, as well as the GNU tool-chain
- Relevant work experience with SQL, and the MySQL/MariaDB RDBMS in particular; knowledge related to database design is an asset
- Knowledge of design patterns, web application development, multi-tier systems, and service-oriented architecture are all assets
- Experience with XML and related technologies like XSD
- Must work effectively with others in a team environment; familiarity with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, in particular) is a plus
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal
- Eagerness to learn, grow, and contribute
Additional Team-Required Skills:
- Strong Perl skills
- Pattern search and regular expressions
- C#/ASP.NET, jQuery, AngularJS are all assets
- Web-service design, SOAP, WSDL
- Moderate Perl skills are beneficial
- Intermediate: 5 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in joining the NAVBLUE team are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via email to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus company, welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is a leading global provider of flight operations solutions, serving more than 350 airlines and aviation services customers. NAVBLUE’s product suite includes aeronautical charts, navigation data solutions, flight planning, aircraft performance software (take-off/landing, weight and balance), and crew planning solutions. Many of NAVBLUE’s products can be configured as part of an Electronic Flight Bag solution, including take-off data calculation, weight and balance, and aeronautical charts. These products, supported by NAVBLUE’s AS9100 and ISO 9001 certification, directly support millions of flights each year and help NAVBLUE’s customers maximize efficiency, reduce costs, ensure compliance with complex national and international safety regulations, and effectively deliver their services.
Located in the University of Waterloo’s David Johnston Research + Technology Park, NAVBLUE is close to shops, restaurants, gyms, daycare, and many other amenities, and only 10 minutes away from Hwy 85. The modern design of our suite in the Accelerator Centre draws its inspiration from airport terminals, and features bright, open work stations, rather than boxed-in cubicles. We also enjoy:
- Flexible hours
- Strong work-life balance with scarce requirements for overtime or extra hours
- Laid back, friendly environment
- Casual dress code
- Competitive group benefits plan & RRSP match
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- An active social committee
Not to mention, the aviation industry’s ongoing transformation means we must continually innovate and rise to the many challenges faced by our customers. We are always looking for ways to innovate and improve processes and technologies.