Full Stack Developer
Our purpose and our reach, your opportunity.
Top Hat is revolutionizing the world of higher education. We are the leading teaching platform that professors use to create an active learning environment. Using Top Hat, professors can transform students' smartphones and laptops into tools of engagement, leading to increased attendance, higher grades, and a more effective lecture experience. More recently, Top Hat launched its own interactive textbook authoring platform and marketplace—you can read about the financing round we just raised to drive this initiative over at Bloomberg. We aim to be the premier way for professors to interact with students both in and out of the classroom.
Top Hat is used and adored by over 750 universities and over 2 million students worldwide.
As we set our sights on increasing adoption of our products to all 4000+ post-secondary institutions in North America, we need to grow our Engineering team. We need Full Stack Developers who can stay ahead of the curve for feature and services development and user experience.
Where are you right now?
You are doing full stack, front-end, or backend development right now. You love what you do but you are seeking more professional and personal satisfaction. You want to join a fast-growing company with purpose where you can see the difference your work is making. You are also looking for a mentor to help groom you for leadership roles.
You may not have expertise in our particular programming languages or technologies. That’s OK. What’s important to Top Hat is solid computer science fundamentals, passion, the ability to learn quickly, and your drive for professional growth.
As a key member of our growing development team you will:
- Innovate. Work in a dynamic, cross-functional scrum team and contribute ideas to design and planning discussions. Implement new features and core services in the TopHat platform. Provide solutions to exciting new challenges.
- Collaborate. Work closely with our design, product, and architecture teams to help bring beautiful, usable and scalable features to life (Our backend is a REST API built with Django. Our frontend framework is React. Everything runs in a high-availability setup on AWS, with MySQL.)
- Improve. Refactor, optimize and improve the Top Hat platform used by over a million students. Improve application performance and reliability.
Some of the reasons we attract great people:
- We are tackling interesting technology challenges such as real-time messaging to thousands of clients with guaranteed delivery in difficult networking environments.
- The impact you will make extends beyond just the success of the company but the prosperity of the education environment.
- We work in a collaborative team-oriented atmosphere where our developers can be found “swarming” an issue or pairing up to work on a tricky piece of code.
- We have a very good business and strong revenue growth. You will be exposed to all aspects of a business past start-up mode and scaling quickly.
- We’re just the right size. Top Hat isn’t a megacorp nor are we a small ‘cowboy’ shop. We are just the right size for individuals that want stability but don’t want to be a number.
- We offer mentorship and meaningful work. Leadership opportunities. Whether it’s leading people, products or projects, our growth translates into new positions for those that are motivated.
What you will bring to Top Hat:
- The right combination of education and experience. A solid understanding of software development either through a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a Technology related field, or years of experience building software systems.
- The technical skills. You have comfort with most of the following:
- Web development technologies and tools
- Automated unit and integration testing
- Designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant services
About Top Hat:
Top Hat’s interactive, cloud-based teaching platform enables professors to engage students inside and outside the classroom with compelling content, tools, and activities. Millions of students at 700 leading North American colleges and universities use the Top Hat teaching platform. Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has been operating profitably since its 2009 launch.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
The life of a Top Hatter also comes with other sweet perks too:
- Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart and motivated to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
- We offer breakfast and catered lunch every day!
- Conveniently located at Bloor and Avenue, near 3 TTC stations.
- We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named Fastest 50 Growing Companies by Deloitte Consulting!)
- Our dress code is casual.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.