Product Manager, Hardware
You're an experienced hardware product manager who has conceived and delivered innovative hardware-based consumer lifestyle products.
You love the challenge of understanding the unknown, simplifying complexity, delivering product, and delighting users with experiences that fit and extend their lifestyle. You’re looking to be a part of a high-growth, entrepreneurial culture that requires collaboration across multiple teams. Above all, you want to make a positive impact on the lives of our users through a combination of new experiences and form factors.
What you'll do:
- Within 15 days:
- Understand the product vision, strategy, tenets, and roadmap for the Product and for your area of focus
- Understand the target consumer, the research insights, and the ongoing research methods to help understand goals and expectations
- Understand the design tenets and language for the overall Industrial Design at Thalmic
- Understand the overall workflow of the team
- Complete ongoing 1:1s with your key partners, peers, and team to understand their challenges and opportunities to improve
- Within 30 days:
- Manage and prioritize the hardware backlog, which includes user stories for mechanical, electrical, and manufacturing
- Actively collaborate with your peer team from Engineering, Manufacturing, Industrial Design, Research, and Marketing to help lead the thinking on your experience area and distill the product direction through a combination of user feedback, value vs cost analysis, and timelines
- You will establish strong working relationships with the Industrial Design and the Hardware engineering teams, and work closely with developers to ensure the feature is being implemented at the level of fidelity at which it was conceived
- Coordinate field testing of the product, and use feedback to drive improvements to the overall product
- Work closely with program management to ensure product requirements and milestones are met
- Within 90 days:
- You have established yourself to be the CEO of your product feature or area, driving it from concept to market
- You understand the pulse of the user and know their needs, goals, and motivations
- You have written detailed product specs, translated research and intuition into product scenarios, detailed features, and MVP
- Work on a daily basis with the ID, engineering, and Manufacturing teams to prioritize scenarios and release them
- You have established product feature KPIs to measure product success
- Conduct usability studies in the field to constantly improve the experience
- You have established yourself as a subject matter expert for the hardware
- You are actively working to evolve tools and processes that help us deliver great experiences to market
- You are contributing to overall Product thought leadership at Thalmic and helping define the vision, strategy, and roadmap. You are a strong advocate for a user-centric product
- Support marketing and customer care through leading the development and maintenance of various technical marketing collateral such as FAQs, User guides, field training, online marketing content, and demos
What you need:
- A product portfolio which demonstrates your ability to deliver consumer hardware products thru full life cycle as a Lead Hardware Product Manager
- Strong empathy for understanding consumer needs and translating them into products that improve their lives
- Strong passion for delivering a high-quality product that meets product, design, and business goals
- Previous experience in product management, product design, or product engineering
- BA/BS in a technical field or industrial design
- Excellent written and oral communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
- Exceptional problem-solving, negotiation, and organizational skills. Excellent multi-tasker. Proven ability to work as part of a fast-paced team.
- Proficiency in using tools such as Jira, Confluence, Google docs
- CAD modelling experience
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.