The Innovation Outpost at Communitech is a part of Wawanesa’s Innovation Lab, which is a strategic department in Wawanesa Insurance that plays a pivotal role in contributing to the strategic goals of the business. The Lab and Outpost conducts small experiments using AI, ML, Chatbot, IoT, Blockchain, API, and other cutting-edge technologies to showcase new opportunities, trends in technology landscape, and promote radical thinking of business opportunities in the Insurance industry.
Wawanesa Insurance is seeking an Application Developer – II in our Innovation Outpost. The candidate will work with our Innovation Lab team to work on prototyping a variety of leading edge technologies including Machine Learning, IoT, Chatbots and Voice Services (Alexa). Candidates should also expect to work on a variety of projects and technologies.
Working under moderate supervision, this job contributes to Wawanesa success by reducing technological uncertainty by actively finding, assessing and validating new technologies for long term growth and relevance.
- Design, develop, and test software.
- Prepare technical specifications from requirements.
- Maintain the operation of business systems and applications.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve application incidents.
- Participate in planning activities.
- Estimate and track progress of assigned work.
- Create and update relevant documentation.
- Follow established practices, processes, and guidelines.
- Keep current with relevant technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Post-secondary degree or diploma in software development or equivalent experience.
- Two years practical experience performing an application development role building software using current programming languages/techniques and working with relational database systems and structured query languages.
- Detail oriented with analytical and problem-solving skills to recognize and identify issues and take proper action to resolve them.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with style fitting for the audience and message.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively in a team environment by making quality contributions and supporting fellow team members.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to self-manage a fluctuating workload, with various situations and changing priorities.
- Possesses a willingness to learn while keeping abreast of developments in field and have the ability to apply learning to new situations.
- Experience using software development tools, such as JIRA, Confluence, Source Code Management and Jenkins is considered an asset.
- Experience with web application best practices in UX design, AWS/Google Cloud, and Google Analytics, considered an asset.
- Certifications in relevant technology is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Agile development, Lean Start-up, Business Model Canvas is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in the Insurance industry is considered an asset.