The Innovation Outpost at Communitech is a part of Wawanesa’s Innovation Lab, which is a strategic department in Wawanesa Insurance that plays a pivotal role in contributing to the strategic goals of the business. The Lab and Outpost conducts small experiments using AI, ML, Chatbot, IoT, Blockchain, API, and other cutting-edge technologies to showcase new opportunities, trends in technology landscape, and promote radical thinking of business opportunities in the Insurance industry.
Wawanesa Insurance is seeking an Application Developer - Lead in our Innovation Outpost. The candidate will work with our Innovation Lab team to work on prototyping a variety of leading edge technologies including Machine Learning, IoT, Chatbots and Voice Services (Alexa). Candidates should also expect to work on a variety of projects and technologies.
Working under minimal supervision, this job contributes to Wawanesa success by reducing technological uncertainty by actively finding, assessing and validating new technologies for long term growth and relevance.
- Lead planning, design, development and testing of software.
- Lead and participate in the preparation of technical specifications from requirements.
- Ensure successful completion of developer assignments by estimating and tracking progress of assigned work.
- Keep current with relevant technologies and ensure mentoring other application developers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Post-secondary degree or diploma in software development or equivalent experience.
- Seven years practical experience performing an application development role building software using current programming languages and working with relational database systems and structure query languages.
- Detail oriented with analytical and problem-solving skills to recognize and identify issues and take proper action to resolve them.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with style fitting for the audience and message.
- Exceptional planning and organizing skills, with the ability to develop and implement plans by prioritizing and multi-tasking.
- Effective leadership, organizational and decision making skills, with the ability to facilitate high team morale by encouraging and coaching team members and providing direction to team members to achieve goals through clear instruction.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with the ability to coach others in order to effectively accomplish team objectives.
- Possesses a willingness to learn while keeping abreast of developments in field.
- Experience using software development tools, such as JIRA, Confluence, Source Code Management and Jenkins is considered an asset.
- Experience with web application best practices in UX design, AWS/Google Cloud, and Google Analytics, considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Agile development, Lean Start-up, Business Model Canvas is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience working in the insurance industry is considered an asset.