Software Engineer, Research and Experiment
- Base + 10% bonus + 4 weeks vacation + benefits
- Job Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Startup (1-19)
What is FactoryU?
FactoryU is Scotiabank’s brand new Research and Experiment centre built to deliver game-changing solutions for customers. FactoryU is focused on re-inventing how banking serves people in the future.
Our mandate is to transform the way banking is delivered by re-imagining the customer experience. We have the support and experience of one of Canada’s largest banks behind us and a talented, growing team of industry leaders driving us forward. Do you want to work with a small start-up like team to help us re-invent how people bank?
This position is set in Scotiabank’s brand new Research and Experiment centre in Waterloo, Ontario – FactoryU. We’re looking to fill our team with innovators, makers, creators and leaders who are flexible, curious, adventurous, versatile and responsive, and who are ready to roll up their sleeves in a collaborative and productive environment to get things done.
By joining our team, you will make an impact people, the banking industry, and ultimately, the world.
Is this role right for you?
- You dream in code
- You want to solve real problems
- You’re familiar with design sprints. In this role, you’ll work closely with a small team of designers and researchers to ideate and rapidly prototype via design sprints.
- You’re comfortable building software tools and strategies to enable rapid prototyping and iteration.
- You enjoy working closely with customers and adjusting your solutions accordingly to their feedback
- Continuous integration and deployment make you giddy
- You spend your free time tinkering with new technologies or building apps on the side. In this role you’ll act as an owner through conception, prototyping features large and small.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed?
- Some experience building scalable, enterprise-level technology stacks with Java, but ideally with a broad set of tools.
- Open source software is preferred.
- Knowledge of a variety of frameworks (browser side, desktop, etc.) as well as a high aptitude for diving in and picking up new things.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to distil technical details into human terms.
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent (in lieu of degree, minimum three years of relevant work experience).
- Comfortable working in a self-guided manner and in a small team.
- Comfortable working in a new and changing environment.
What's in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to create beautiful customer experiences
- Dress codes don't apply here, being comfortable does
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world