Hardware Designer - Automation Systems / Electrical
Position: Hardware Designer - Automation Systems / Electrical
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 3+ years relevant work experience
Education: University degree in engineering, science, or another applicable field.
About P&P Optica
P&P Optica (PPO) is dedicated to improving the safety, quality, and efficiency of food production in North America through the development of its innovative Smart Imaging technologies. Our Smart Imaging products and systems incorporate PPO’s world-class expertise in spectroscopy and data analysis to push the boundaries of what is possible for real-time food product analysis. PPO is rapidly growing to meet these opportunities and we’re looking for talented, new individuals to join our team.
At PPO we believe it’s important to enjoy and take pride in what we do. We strive to ensure a fun, friendly, and respectful work environment that continually offers new and interesting challenges and opportunities.
About the Position
The chosen candidate will become a key member of the Hardware Team at P&P Optica. The hardware team is responsible for a wide range of activities including the design and production of our world-class holographic gel gratings, spectrometers, and Smart Imaging Systems. This position will initially focus on the end-to-end design and activities of our newest Smart Imaging Systems for food production, followed in the future by the opportunity to develop new features and innovations that will keep our systems at the forefront of the industry. As part of this mandate, you will be actively involved in developing and proving your own innovative designs and will follow those through production, testing, and final installation.
- Development of next generation, smart imaging products, systems, and accessories that are safe and reliable.
- Innovating, prototyping, and finalizing detailed designs that meet technical, schedule, cost, and DFX requirements.
- Producing professional grade documentation and drawings to support the manufacturing, assembly, and testing of our products and systems.
- Sourcing reliable components that sensibly balance cost, performance, and schedule demands.
Additional Tasks May Include:
- Supporting production with the assembly and testing of systems.
- Supporting on-site installation and commissioning of our equipment at our Customer’s facilities.
- Working with external suppliers and fabrication shops to ensure our design and quality standards are met.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Some tasks may require lifting up to 30kg.
You want to work in a fast-paced, growing company was part of a dynamic and talented team that is helping its customers to be more successful through the use of its innovative products and solutions. You’re results-oriented and care about ensuring that our designs meet high standards of performance and quality. You have a positive attitude, care about doing things right, and are motivated by making a positive impact.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience designing reliable, automated production equipment and systems for use in high volume production applications.
- Excellent knowledge and experience designing PLC-based automation systems including programming.
- Proficient with electrical CAD design software for the design of system block diagrams, wiring schematics, wire harnesses, and electrical enclosures.
- Good knowledge of North American electrical safety and compliance standards and requirements.
- Experience designing complex safety circuits that comply with functional safety requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with technical documentation experience.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Food industry specific experience is a significant asset.
- Knowledge of SCADA and MES communications interfaces.
- Able to use Solidworks CAD and PDM software.
- Comfortable with the Python programming language.
P&P Optica is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across our organization and we simply focus on hiring the best talent. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.