Technical Documentation Specialist II
The Technical Documentation Specialist II writes and edits online help, including user and reference manuals, videos, and tutorials. Requires effective planning, scheduling, research, writing, and editing skills. Reviews documentation for organization, content, technical accuracy, and style. Keeps informed of product development activities to determine the need for revisions, corrections, and changes in previously released materials. Operates under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, ROLES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writing, formatting, and editing technical information to produce product documentation:
- Gathering, analyzing, and organizing technical information from various sources
- Using ANSYS software products
- Defining logical steps to perform required functions on software products
- Assembling graphic aides within documents
- Producing short videos about key software features
- Assisting in developing plans to capture information revisions, incorporate new information needs, and meet scheduled product release dates.
- Complying with established procedures, standards, style guides, and schedules.
- Attending product development meetings and design review meetings to determine documentation needs for product releases.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction by preparing product information that is useful, accurate, and user friendly and contributing to a product’s overall usability:
- Soliciting comments on readability and accuracy of documentation
- Interacting with team members to identify and resolve product usability issues and information discrepancies
- Ensuring that all product information is reviewed and approved following quality assurance procedures
- Providing regular updated project status reports to management and other defined contacts
- Other job-related duties that may be assigned by management from time to time.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS/QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Writing, Communications, or a related field
- 5 years’ experience in technical writing
- Familiarity with documentation authoring and build tools, as well as common project management software
- A thorough and careful approach to work; close attention to detail and quality
- Ability to establish good working relationships within the team and with cross-functional teams and employees at all management levels
- General skills in planning and problem solving
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and meet timelines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, behave with integrity and respond maturely to direction
- Competent in the use of general office software applications such as mail tools, document editors, spreadsheets and databases
- Ability to work in a geographically distributed development environment
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of and ability to learn CAE and related software from a user perspective
- Familiarity with agile and lean software development processes
- Knowledge in software development methodologies, design, and implementation
- Alternative combination of Master's degree in writing/communication and 2 years' experience in technical documentation
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency preferred