- Validus Research Inc.
- Job Function
- Software Development
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Enterprise (500+)
Validus Research Inc., based in Waterloo, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Validus Holdings. Validus Holdings Ltd. is a publicly traded (NYSE: VR) Bermuda based catastrophe reinsurance company with over $4 Billion USD in assets. We have an opening for a Research Application Developer to join us in creating innovative tools and systems for the Catastrophe Modeling team.
As a Research Application Developer you will collaborate with other developers and analysts to build smart tools and APIs that interface with or consume catastrophe models, large business data sets, other simulation systems/frameworks, etc. These tool range from Web front ends, automated processing scripts to APIs that use a distributed backend.
This position is located in Waterloo.
- Design, rapidly prototype, and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable software products to help analysts and underwriters at Validus make data driven decisions.
- Interface closely with stakeholders to deliver products, clarify objectives, determine scope, drive consensus, identify problems, and recommend solutions.
- Support end users on an ad hoc basis with development and database needs and be a subject matter expert on the functional side of business.
- Think creatively to come up with new ideas that enhance the overall value of software products to the organization.
- Work with group architecture to ensure solutions align with group strategic vision.
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Math, Engineering, or similar.
- Hands on experience with Python.
- Experience with SQL and Relational Databases Design.
- Deep understanding of Object Oriented Design.
- Ability to work under pressure alone and/or within a team.
- Strong communication skills and willingness to take initiative.
- Understanding of Microservice Architecture and Functional Programming.
- Knowledge of version control such as git.
- Experience with C#.
- Understanding of task queuing and distributed systems.
- Working knowledge of industry catastrophe models.
- Experience with agile development methodology.
- Experience with R.
- An understanding of reinsurance.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Validus is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.