Position: Senior Mechanical Designer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 5 - 8+ years
Education: College diploma or university degree in a related field.
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s industrial and research divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO Motors.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
We are shipping more and more robots and seeing new uses for our products emerge every day! We need an experienced Mechanical Engineer to help us take our innovative designs from napkin sketches to hundreds of pounds of precisely moving parts, and facilitate every step in-between.
You are a mechanical design guru with years of experience who is able to inspire and teach others. In your role, you will be responsible for the mechanical / mechatronics designs of existing and new industrial robotics products. This will range through the entire design process from initial concept design and cost forecasting through to detailed design, verification and validation, and final release to production. Our hardware must be many things, but reliability is paramount. It will be your job to design and build robust robotic systems that adhere to the high standards of performance and quality that we set for our products
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Developing our line of innovative industrial robots for worldwide customers
- Performing ground-up design work supported by engineering fundamentals, calculations and testing
- Encouraging others through your example to achieve their potential as an engineer
- Working closely with the test and production teams to develop the optimal design.
- Working with inter-disciplinary teams to optimize product designs.
- Facilitating a smooth operation through proper documentation.
Additional tasks may include:
- Evaluating how we can apply lessons from other industries to our designs.
- Collaborating with our client success team to support our customers
- Supporting the evaluation of existing and new suppliers.
You want to work for a fast-paced growing company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done or half-qualified. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- Degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering from an accredited institution, or equivalent.
- 5 - 8+ years of relevant experience designing electro-mechanical machine designs for industrial applications with high reliability and life requirements.
- Excellent skills with SolidWorks or similar parametric CAD and finite element analysis software.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills in the areas of kinematics, structural/stress, thermal, and vibration analysis.
- The ability to help define unknown systems from the ground-up.
- Ability to collaborate with external suppliers and fabrication shops to ensure successful outcomes.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work closely as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced environment.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with vehicle design (e.g. utility tractors, fork trucks, AGVs, effectively anything with a drive train that has to handle the dynamics of being mobile) or automation.
- Experience in industrial certifications and compliance with UL / CE or similar standards
- Strong skills in electrical/electronic design.
- Experience designing for an industrial environment.
- Having a personal “favourite robot video” YouTube playlist.
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.