You’re a storyteller and translate user needs and desires into net new experiences that may or may not exist today. You love to simplify complexity and to delight users with experiences that fit and extend their lifestyle. You’re looking to be a part of a high-growth, entrepreneurial culture that requires collaboration across multiple teams. You are a product thought leader first, and love building a highly functional team of creatives. Above all, you want to make a positive impact on the lives of our users through a combination of new experiences and form factors.
What you'll do:
- Within 15 days:
- Understand the product vision, strategy, tenets, and roadmap for the Product and for your area of focus
- Understand the target consumer, the research insights, and the ongoing research
- Understand our design tenets and overall UX and ID
- Understand the overall workflow of the team
- Complete ongoing 1:1s with your key partners, peers, and team to understand their challenges and opportunities to improve
- Within 30 days:
- You will have established effective working relationships within the Design team
- Collaborate with your peer team (from Product management to the Research, Engineering, Marketing, Business and Program management teams) to help lead the thinking in your experience area
- You will identify the strengths and areas in need of attention on your team
- You have immersed yourself in the Product and can identify key priorities and areas of focus from a Design perspective to help make the product successful
- You help shape the Product vision for future products and work closely with Product and business leadership to do so
- Within 90 days:
- You intimately understand the pulse of the user and know their needs, goals, and motivations
- You contribute to Product leadership and drive the Design thought leadership at Thalmic. You are a strong advocate for creating a user-centric product
- You work closely with the Marketing team to ensure that every consumer touchpoint, product, and otherwise is on brand
- You challenge your team to not just get work done, but to assume more thought leadership by questioning the “why”
- You have delivered a cohesive set of experiences and an ID that is integral to the success of the product
- You are actively working with Advanced R&D team to understand the possibilities of and outline the experience needs for next generation products
What you need:
- Bachelor or Masters degree in design, research, human-computer interaction, or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- A product portfolio which demonstrates a diversity of experience across platforms, and expertise in bringing impactful and thoughtful consumer products to market
- Experience leading a team of designers across UX and Industrial Design
- Field experience conducting or participating in user research (e.g. ethnographic studies, usability studies, focus groups, etc.)
- Prior demonstration of user-centred and product design principles
- Strong understanding of consumer needs and the ability to translate them into products that improve their lives
- Strong passion for delivering an incredibly high-quality product that meets product, design, and business goals
- Excellent written and oral communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions.
- Deadline and detail-oriented mindset. Exceptional problem-solving, negotiation, and organizational skills. Excellent multi-tasker. Proven ability to work as part of a fast-paced team.
- Proficiency in tools such as Jira, Confluence, Sketch, Envision, Omni suite, Adobe creative cloud
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.