You’re a highly experienced optical systems engineer with expertise in designing compact imaging systems. You can draw upon your years of experience to create innovative optical designs to tackle the hardest problems in the industry. You have a passion for optical design and stay on top of all the latest technology and developments in the field. You thrive in collaborative team environments and enjoy opportunities to contribute your ideas.
What you'll do:
- Conceptualize and design novel compact imaging architectures for VR devices
- Define simulation and test requirements for conceptualization, prototype, and production phases of optical system development
- Validate models used for simulating optical system
- Work closely with both hardware and software teams to find innovative solutions in a cross-functional manner
What you need:
- 8+ years industry experience in micro-optics, lens design
- Masters degree with focus in applied physics,
- Expertise in Zemax, experience with manufacturing design methods
- Expertise in system design and assembly of micro-optic photonic modules for mass production.
- In depth knowledge of various light sources, diffractive optics, electro-optical devices, filters and optical coating specifications.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills; ability to reason from first principles
- Masters degree with focus in mechanical engineering or optical engineering, or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An in-depth understanding of how the optical, electrical, and mechanical components work together as a system and what the tradeoffs are.
Bonus points for:
- Designing VR specific optical architectures in the past
- Knowledge of or relationships with OEMs/vendors in the industry
- Experience using Trace Pro, FRED or other illumination software
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.