Intellectual Property Specialist (Junior)
You’re an aspiring patent professional. You have approximately 1-2 years of experience working on patent matters and you know how to draft a patent application. You love technology and you love to write. You have a thorough background in physics and/or engineering that enables you to quickly understand new technologies and foresee where they may lead. You can hold your own in technical discussions with PhD scientists and engineers.
As an IP Specialist at Thalmic, you will learn new things every single day. You will identify inventions as they happen and you will protect those inventions by writing and prosecuting patent applications. You will always have a patent draft on the go and will work on office action responses as well. This experience can help qualify you to sit for the Canadian patent agent examinations and become a registered patent agent in Canada.
What You'll Do:
- Within your first month:
- Familiarize yourself with our technologies
- Draft at least one complete patent application based on assigned subject matter from within the IP team
- Within your first 6 months:
- Establish yourself as a direct liaison to a specific technical team (based on your technical expertise) by attending their meetings and exploring what they’re working on
- Gradually transition from drafting patent applications that you’ve been assigned to drafting patent applications that you select from the pool of inventions identified by the IP team (~2 filings per month)
- Draft office action responses as allocated within the IP team
- From 6-months onwards:
- Operate daily as a critical IP perspective within the specific technical team for which you’re the direct liaison;
- Branch out to engage with other technical teams and work on other technical subject matter;
- Continue to draft new applications at a rate of ~2 per month
- continue preparing office action responses as allocated within the IP team
What you will need:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering physics, electrical engineering, or a similar subject matter
- About 1-2 years’ experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in Canada / US
- Exceptional English language skills
- Proven capacity to quickly understand complicated technologies
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.