At Carnegie Technologies, we are a strong technical team that builds communications products for the multitude of networks available today. Whether that’s combining LTE and Wi-Fi together for better-quality VoIP calls that aren’t disrupted when you switch networks, aggregating networks together for smoother video streaming, giving your smartphone the ability to place calls over satellite from anywhere on the planet, or constructing end-to-end IoT systems that take advantage of the latest wireless protocols, we’re always looking for ways to get the best experience at the lowest operational cost.
We come from many different backgrounds and levels of expertise – but to all of us, craft and functionality are equally important. We constantly learn and hone our skills and incorporate those experiences into every line of code. We don’t ship “fast” solutions – we ship the right ones for our customers. We’re also leaders that create quiet time to solve hard problems and the space to focus on the best result.
Our Kitchener-Waterloo, Canada office is the heart of our software engineering team, and works closely with the hardware and operations teams from our company headquarters in Austin, Texas, and our engineering office in Romsey, UK. You’ll have the opportunity to work with our super talented team of people, from experts in networking, machine learning, and applications to some of the pioneers of Wi-Fi itself. You might even get your name on a patent!
Our technology stack is carefully chosen to give our developers a great development experience – you’ll spend your time building quality software, not on repetitive tasks. We’ve built tools to ensure our code is consistently formatted, to release after commit, and to automate documentation; and we rely on a shared set of engineering principles when reviewing every line of code we write. Common technologies we use are:
- Mobile apps: Java (Android), Objective-C (iOS), Ionic/Cordova (cross-platform), C++ (cross-platform)
- Servers: Node.js (with TypeScript), React (web), C++ (traffic handling), Cassandra (db)
- Build & Deploy: Git, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, HockeyApp
Come join us!
The Analytics Lead will be responsible for designing and building analytics services across Carnegie. Sourcing data from our mobile apps and network services, you’ll be tasked with generating the actionable insights for our customers that allow them to manage their networks more effectively and understand the value that our platform provides.
- You’ll be primarily coding in TypeScript and Python, using whichever analytics, machine learning, data processing, or database frameworks are appropriate for the problem you’re solving
- You’ll spend most of your time coding - and code-reviewing others to ensure we maintain a high standard of quality
- You’ll spend the rest of your time on architecture, requirements, and design
- You’ll be working closely with our client & web services teams, product/project management, and operations to build the right products for our customers
- You’ll be working with some external analytics experts we’ve brought on to accelerate our development – folks that have been working in this area for 20+ years
- You’ll be pushed by your colleagues to deliver quality code in a reasonable timeframe – and trusted to seek input from then take the best action
- You have a wide knowledge of computer science/software engineering – through a related degree or diploma, but we also recognize practical experience
- You have experience with analytics frameworks, like Pandas, numpy, scipy, and matplotlib
- You have experience with machine learning frameworks, like TensorFlow, Theano, Keras, and Apache Singa
- You have experience with data processing pipelines, like Storm, Hadoop, and Kafka
- You have experience with SQL and NoSQL databases like MySQL, Postgres, Couchbase, Cassandra, and Dynamo
- You have serious coding skills, in multiple languages – a Unix focus is necessary, but some experience with Windows/macOS would be useful
- You have experience with developing for quality & reliability, and how it relates to analytics services in particular
- You have some experience with front-end development – enough to put together a rough first pass UI for viewing analytics output
- You have some experience with operations and deployment – enough to set up your own services and work with our operations team to deploy, scale, and monitor service availability
- You want to work in a small, fast-moving team with lots of responsibility (and few roadblocks to getting things done)