Who we are searching for:
Reporting to the Director, Product Management the Technical Writer’s primary responsibility is to produce high-quality documentation that contributes to the overall success of IMS products. He/she works collaboratively with developers, quality engineers, product managers, and usability experts to make our products easier to use.
Your role at IMS:
- Plan, design, create and maintain multi-language end-user publications and related technical communications in support of all IMS products. These customer-facing materials include – but are not limited to – the following:
- HARD COPY and/or ONLINE CONTENT explaining/showing all product installation, start-up, administration, operation, upgrading, maintenance and support.
- OTHER TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS typically including technical bulletins, FAQs, software release notes, product support instructions, addenda, instructional product labeling, troubleshooting trees/guides, admin guides, customer start-up correspondence and related product/instructional materials for technical support team, OEM administrators, and/or end users.
- Support software developers by 1) contributing content of text used in customer-facing software applications such as web portals and direct customer support communications, 2) providing usability input for pending software design and text, and 3) writing/editing online materials (help, hover text, downloads, etc.).
- Explore new tools, technologies and improved publishing methods in order to optimize efficiency and finished quality throughout all projects.
- Write, illustrate, design and manage all end user publications and other technical/product communications
- Review and contribute to professional GUI and VUI text content
- Work with software developers, other engineers, project/product managers and online resources to efficiently research and establish accurate, complete, and meaningful content supporting all projects
- Work with software developers, other engineers and project/product managers to plan and suggest communication solutions for all projects
- Provide single-source support for end-user/administrator training initiatives
- Implement and maintain valid revision control techniques
- Merge internal engineering and marketing perspectives to benefit the end user
- Learn from and coach others, as well as rely on the ability to self-edit and exercise writing authority when necessary
- Use proven time-management techniques to independently organize and administer competing priorities/projects
- Understand and participate in the logistics and practicalities of product launches
Skills you bring to IMS
- 5-7 years as a technical writer in a software, hardware, networking and/or operations environment, with increased scope and responsibility over time
- Professional-level writing, illustration and design skills
- Knowledge of single-sourcing practices and methodologies
- Experience in the wireless technology industry
- Degree in English, Languages, Technical Writing, Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- Expert knowledge of industry-standard technical writing/illustrating/design tools, including standard word processing, page layout and all MS Office, as well as drawing packages such as CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator and Visio.
- Verbal & Written Communication
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Results focus & Accountability
- Adaptable to Change & Flexible
- Prioritizing & Multitasking
Why join IMS?
- Canada’s Top 100 Employers committed to your personal and professional development
- Comprehensive health benefits and RRSP with no waiting period
- Goodlife Fitness membership discount and more
- Industry-competitive salary, vacation, flexible work hours and paid time off to volunteer
- State of the art facility with free parking, nearby walking trails restaurants and summer outdoor markets.
- Comfortable employee lounge and game room on site
- Free daily snacks provided and free breakfast Wednesdays
- Paid day off for full-time employees in recognition of their birthday each year
- Optional summer hours (compressed work-week) during the months of July and August
- Multi-tiered Rewards and Recognition Program, including manager nominated and peer to peer awards
Intelligent Mechatronic Systems Inc. (IMS) is a leader in Connected Car™ technology that enables drivers to be safer, smarter and greener. We are a privately held technology company founded in 1999 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada – the heart of Canada’s Technology Triangle. Our unique approach of converging in-car infotainment, automotive telematics and wireless technology has resulted in an impressive range of solutions. From insurance and government, to fleets and everyday drivers, our technology revolutionizes industries.
Direct applications only – no recruitment agencies please.
At IMS, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. IMS offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.