You’re a creative Mechanical Design Engineer with exceptional design intuition. You want to help build a cool new computing form factor that has never existed before. You’ll work with our mechanical team to solve difficult problems, meet tight deadlines, and build awesome products, as well as assisting with designing for manufacture. If you have a strong mechanical background combined with an acute eye for detail and you’re excited to be part of a young, cutting-edge technology company, then this job may be for you!
What You Will Do:
Within 15 days,
- Fully understand the mechanical architecture from a high level
- Properly navigate through the top level CAD model understanding how it was built and what parameters are critical
- Create preliminary CAD model for external cosmetic components (C-Channel)
Within 30 days,
- Show fully laid out sub-system assembly (including pcb, harness routing, connectors, part and mating part integration)
- Hold critical design review on external cosmetic component including manufacturing process and CMF specifications
- Source applicable vendor and hold DFM
- Create all necessary procurement documentation (Drawings, RFQ, Test Specification, CAD, etc.)
Within 60 days,
- Have fully prototyped and tested their design
- Have sourced a high volume vendor and incorporated all necessary changes into the design
- Create a full test plan with respect to form, fit and function as well as reliability and environmental concerns
What You Need:
You will have 8+ years of experience designing complex consumer products. A high level of experience is required in the following areas:
- Solving complex engineering challenges and developing innovative solutions
- Various manufacturing processes, materials, finishing (cosmetic, environmental)
- Designed consumer electronics products for high volume manufacturing
- PCB layout, Flex circuit design for high density electronics. Minimizing volume while optimizing access for assembly and test
- Precision mechanics with tight tolerances, GD&T and inspection drawings
- System level layout of critical components where the balance of form, weight, CoG, thermal effects need to be considered to optimize the overall product
- 3D CAD design experience, with exposure to advanced surface modelling
Bonus Points For:
- Worked within the wearables industry
- FEA and Thermal simulation
- Sealing/waterproofing design experience
- CMF related work
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.