Mechanical Design Lead
You’re a creative, passionate Mechanical Engineer with exceptional design intuition and the leadership skills to drive excellence into all aspects of product development. You want to help build a cool new computing form factor that has never existed before. You are excited about the opportunity to work with a talented team to solve difficult problems, meet tight deadlines, and build awesome products.
If you have a strong mechanical background in the high volume consumer electronics space as well as the desire to lead and contribute to a talented product design team, then this job may be for you!
What You’ll Do:
- Contribute to the mechanical system architecture of the product and oversee/resolve technical tradeoffs between design and requirements.
- Lead mechanical design on consumer electronics product development as well as lead technical projects.
- Solve complex engineering challenges and develop innovative solutions.
- Conduct design and schedule reviews, prepare test plans and related documentation.
- Lead team in supporting NPI and production ramp.
- Initiate advanced planning for next product development cycle.
What You’ll Need:
You have 10+ years of experience designing complex consumer products.
You are a TECHNICAL expert in the following areas:
- Designing consumer electronics products for high volume manufacturing.
- Various manufacturing processes, materials, finishing (cosmetic and environmental).
- PCB layout, flex circuit design for high density electronics and minimizing volume while optimizing access for assembly and test.
- Precision mechanics with tight tolerances, GD&T and inspection drawings.
- System level layout of critical components where the balance of form, weight, CoG, thermal effects need to be considered to optimize the overall product.
- 3D CAD design experience, with exposure to advanced surface modelling.
- Solid understanding of the importance of ID, CMF and user experience.
You have LEADERSHIP experience in the following areas:
- Have had the opportunity to lead a product development team.
- Proven ability to work effectively on multidisciplinary product development teams.
- Are comfortable managing complex projects incorporating mechanical, industrial design, electrical, optical and thermal design considerations.
- Creating project schedules and communicating technical trade offs with stakeholders.
- Fully understanding the human aspect of project teams and can motivate/coach individual contributors as well as provide feedback for continuous improvement.
Bonus Points For:
- Worked within the wearables industry
- Lead product development engineering teams
- Sealing/waterproofing design experience.
- CMF related work
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.