Professor, Game Design
Conestoga College is a leader in polytechnic education. Our career-focused education, training and applied research programs prepare students for success, support industry and workforce needs, and promote economic prosperity throughout our region and across Ontario.
As a preferred employer, Conestoga is committed to supporting the development and well-being of our employees through competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package and ongoing professional and personal learning opportunities that result in enhanced skills, shared successes and an engaged college community.
The School of Media & Design is currently seeking a qualified professional to join our brand new Game - Design Program team as a Professor. Under the direction of the Chair, the Professor is responsible for providing the delivery of curriculum, development of an effective learning environment for students, and academic leadership:
- Designing, updating and delivering a variety of courses, including project courses
- Defining, evaluating and validating program and course learning outcomes
- Developing alternative delivery strategies, and online course development and teaching, as required
- Ensuring program and course curriculum are current, relevant and reflective of best practices in the field
- Designing appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and evaluating student progress and achievement
- Creating and maintaining a positive learning environment which supports the diversity of students’ cultures, educational backgrounds and learning styles
- Participating in department, portfolio/school and college-wide activities/task groups as required
- Working in a collaborative, collegial manner both within the department and across the college
- Development of industry partnerships and collaboration with industry partners
- Fulfilling responsibilities as defined in the Academic Employees Collective Agreement
- Bachelor’s degree in game design, game development, game art, animation, digital media or related discipline required
- Minimum Five (5) years of gaming industry experience
- Experience developing interactive media for professional clients and/or shipped video games titles for PC, major consoles and/or mobile platforms
- Proficiency in industry software such as Adobe Photoshop, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Zbrush, Substance Designer/Painter, Blender3d, Unity or Unreal
- Background in game art direction and development pipelines or programming languages.
- Familiarity with 3-D printing or technical art pipelines in level design, event scripting, particle effects, animation, and/or shaders is a significant plus
- A demonstrable portfolio of work which showcases the applications you have worked on and includes examples of your storytelling skills
- Previous adult or post-secondary level teaching experience in Game Design is an asset
- Experience with curriculum development and program planning
- Knowledge and experience of computer systems (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) and educational technologies (e.g. D2L) is preferred
- Demonstrated exceptional presentation, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of an academic team
- Demonstrated ability to relate to learners and providing a positive learning environment to students working at different skill levels including international students and students requiring accommodation is an asset
- Strong commitment to academic excellence and student success, and ability to support Conestoga’s continuous quality improvement initiatives
- Strong relationships with industry contacts and network connections is an asset
Successful applicants will be required to commence employment in August 2018
Note to applicants: This program also requires a contract role for Curriculum Development on a six-month basis as an immediate start. Please see other postings for specific information and requirements.