Sortable is fixing the broken ad-tech industry and simplifying operations for publishers worldwide. Our mission is to change the future of online advertising for publishers—and we need you to get there. We help publishers optimize yield and revenue operations team. By providing the right data, we empower publishers to make better decisions about monetization, content, and audience acquisition. Fast-growing and privately funded, we’re proud to be a tech company with deep roots in Waterloo Region, Canada.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager at Sortable you will support a team of talented software developers working to build our core revenue optimization technology. Managers at Sortable don’t make all the decisions. Instead, they help build happy and productive teams, moderate and facilitate discussion, and make sure those with the most information are informing team direction. A successful Engineering Manager at Sortable is a skilled people manager who deeply understands the challenges of working on a software team from their own extensive experience. We are in hyper-growth mode, which means people managers have the added challenge of facilitating growth by helping to hire great new team members, and mentoring existing teams to greatness.
- Lead and support 10+ software developers
- Meet regularly with all direct reports for one-to-one discussions
- Remove roadblocks and facilitate discussion
- All people-management activities including:
- Hiring (reviewing applications, interviewing, making recommendations for hire).
- Onboarding new hires.
- Coaching and career development for direct reports.
- Identifying the need for new processes and creating them.
- Refining and improving existing processes
- Providing performance feedback (both positive and areas for improvement).
- Documentation and mediation of any team conflict.
- Working with Human Resources to document and facilitate employee exits if necessary.
- Work with the Technical Product Managers and Engineering leadership to drive projects forward and ensure the right people are solving the right problems at the right time.
- Ensure that the team is working in a sustainable way with a good work-life balance.
- Work with Engineering leadership on department-wide changes and improvements.
Requirements/What it takes
- Three years successfully managing a team of experienced engineers.
- Five years+ professional experience as a software developer in a team setting.
- Excellent people skills and strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills.
- Experience of developing software via an agile methodology
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or equivalent practical experience.
Bonus points and nice to have qualities
- Ten years of relevant work experience.
- Serve as a technical resource for developers
- Three years building and supporting web applications (full stack).
- Knowledge of web infrastructure: HTTP, web servers, caching and proxies, etc.
- Experience building and deploying software on Linux (or other Unix-like) systems.
- Ability to Produce technical deliverables like bug fixes and small features.
- Can identify areas of technical debt and assess the cost/benefit of resolving them.
- Knowledge of internet ad ops.
- Still code because you love it.
What do we offer you?
You’ll have the opportunity to make things happen at Sortable. We’re proud to be recognized with accolades for our company growth (Deloitte Fast50/Fast500, PROFIT 500) and workplace culture (Digiday WorkLife, Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers). Not bad for a company that started as four engineers in 2011.
Our competitive advantage? Our people.
Your growth: At Sortable, we value autonomy, taking ownership of your role, and continuous learning. Your growth here is important and we’ll invest in your success with training, feedback, and development.
Our culture: We’re fiercely obsessed with our culture. It’s protected, guided, and influenced by people like you who value transparency, collaboration, and diverse perspectives and experiences. We believe that our workplace should reflect the world we want to live in and work hard to make it a reality.
How to succeed at Sortable: The underlying foundation of who we are and how we behave is built on a team of individuals who make others feel safe to exchange feedback, respect differences, and take calculated risks. Productive. Curious. Smart. Nice. Selfless. Think you’d be a perfect fit? We’d love to hear from you.
Perks and the nice stuff!
We make sure you’re able to come in and do amazing work. In addition to unlimited snacks (a nod to our startup beginnings), you’ll get perks and benefits to help you maintain a healthy work-life balance:
- Comprehensive health benefits for you and your family
- Catered lunches and a stocked fridge to keep you full and focused
- Equity in Sortable so you have stake in the company and decisions
- Life @ Sortable initiatives like volunteer hours, learning credits, and fitness credits to invest in your well-being
Plus all the fun stuff that our staff dream up, like Cocktail Fridays, solar eclipse viewing parties, beach dress up days, fitness challenges, talent shows, team sports and clubs. Because we create our best ideas when we’re inspired, comfortable, and engaged in the work we do and the people we see every day.
We’re here to help.
At Sortable, we're dedicated to ensuring equal employment opportunities. If you require accommodation in the recruitment process, please email email@example.com. All inquiries will be held in confidence.