Accepting Applications from Experienced Software Developers for Multiple Positions Over the Next 6 Months
We are looking for software developers who want to take charge of large feature areas and drive them to completion. We hire people with strong technical backgrounds, but who also possess the soft skills to liaise with less technical people in the business. We like to prototype and deploy quickly to test ideas. For us, determining what to build is at least as important as the data structures and algorithms we use to build it.
Sortable is fixing the broken ad-tech industry and simplifying operations for publishers worldwide. Our mission is to change the future of online advertising for publishers—and we need you to get there. We help publishers optimize yield and unify publishing operations teams. By providing the right data, we empower publishers to make better decisions about monetization, content, and audience acquisition. Fast-growing and privately funded, we’re proud to be a tech company with deep roots in Waterloo Region, Canada.
What you’ll do
- Rapidly design, build, test, and ship software using principles from computer science, engineering, and mathematics
- Have a genuine say in project scope and requirements.
- We encourage you to own your ideas and develop them to production
- Troubleshoot, debug, and fix issues found in large existing code bases
Requirements/What it takes
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or equivalent practical experience
- For an established developer 5+ years experience building software, ideally in a team setting
- For recent graduates we’re looking for co-op experience and a good response to the developer take home project
- Experience with one or more of the languages/technologies listed under Tools of the trade
- Knowledge of web applications and their supporting infrastructure
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
Tools of the Trade
- We are primarily a JVM on Linux shop. We work with modern, (mostly) fun-to-use technologies.
- Data: PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Hive, Apache Spark, Presto DB, Redis, ElasticSearch, Common Crawl archives
- Backend: Clojure, Scala, Python, bash
- Frontend: old-fashioned HTML and vanilla.js, AngularJS, Google Closure Compiler, misc. jQuery & D3.js
- Development: git (and github.com), $EDITOR, Ubuntu Linux workstations, motorized desks (stand a while, sit a while!)
- Collaboration: Asana, Slack
- Infrastructure: AWS and Azure; Graphite and Grafana for metrics; continuous integration courtesy of Jenkins
Bonus points and nice to have qualities
- Interest in technical leadership and a history of taking ownership and driving projects to completion
- Experience with Scala and Clojure, or other functional languages
- Ability and interest in building both client-side (browser) and server-side software
- Experience using and deploying software on Linux (or other Unix-like) systems
What do we offer you?
You’ll have the opportunity to make things happen at Sortable. We’re proud to be recognized with accolades for our company growth (Deloitte Fast50/Fast500, PROFIT 500) and workplace culture (Digiday WorkLife, Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers). Not bad for a company that started as four engineers in 2011.
Our competitive advantage? Our people.
Your growth: At Sortable, we value autonomy, taking ownership of your role, and continuous learning. Your growth here is important and we’ll invest in your success with training, feedback, and development.
Our culture: We’re fiercely obsessed with our culture. It’s protected, guided, and influenced by people like you who value transparency, collaboration, and diverse perspectives and experiences. We believe that our workplace should reflect the world we want to live in and work hard to make it a reality.
How to succeed at Sortable: The underlying foundation of who we are and how we behave is built on a team of individuals who make others feel safe to exchange feedback, respect differences, and take calculated risks. Productive. Curious. Smart. Nice. Selfless. Think you’d be a perfect fit? We’d love to hear from you.
Perks and the nice stuff!
We make sure you’re able to come in and do amazing work. In addition to unlimited snacks (a nod to our startup beginnings), you’ll get perks and benefits to help you maintain a healthy work-life balance:
- Comprehensive health benefits for you and your family
- Catered lunches and a stocked fridge to keep you full and focused
- Equity in Sortable so you have stake in the company and decisions
- Life @ Sortable initiatives like volunteer hours, learning credits, and fitness credits to invest in your well-being
Plus all the fun stuff that our staff dream up, like Cocktail Fridays, solar eclipse viewing parties, beach dress up days, fitness challenges, talent shows, team sports and clubs. Because we create our best ideas when we’re inspired, comfortable, and engaged in the work we do and the people we see every day.
How to Apply
- There are two ways to apply:
- Read and complete the take-home project at https://sortable.com/project/
- Skip the project, and apply now
We’re here to help
At Sortable, we're dedicated to ensuring equal employment opportunities. If you require accommodation in the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries will be held in confidence.