Director of National Programs
Reports to: CEO
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
SHAD is a registered Canadian charity that empowers exceptional high school students – at a pivotal point in their education – to recognize their own capabilities and envision their extraordinary potential as tomorrow’s leaders and change makers. Each year, SHAD provides the opportunity for 900+ students from across Canada and internationally to attend a month-long summer program, in-residence at one of our Canadian host universities, focused on STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts & math). There are currently more than 16,300 SHAD alumni including 32 Rhodes Scholars, Top 40 Under 40 & Top 20 Under 20 award recipients, and many other accomplished professionals, all sharing the transformational SHAD experience and able to leverage their SHAD network for life. Founded in 1980, SHAD is based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
SHAD’s strategic vision is to double the size of the program – campuses and participants – by 2022 against 2016 levels.
The Director of National Programs will have oversight of SHAD’s summer program. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Oversight and management of Program Directors, Program Managers and Teacher Fellows at each participating campus
- Oversight of annual Program Manager and Program Director meetings
- Onboarding of new campus programs
- Risk management oversight for the summer program
- Oversight of the recruiting and admissions process including managing direct reports in these areas
- Management of bursary and scholarship allocation
- Curricula oversight (while recognizing each program has unique attributes)
- Policy development as it relates to the summer program
- Managing parent and SHAD participant issues
While most of the year, this role will have normal business hours, the SHAD program runs during the month of July and thus the Director of National Programs will be “on-call” during the month and may have significant pan Canadian travel requirements during July.
In addition to areas of direct responsibility, the Director of National Programs will work with other SHAD team members to support funding proposals, government relations and events.
Successful candidates will likely have experience with one or more of the following:
- Managing in a decentralized or regionalized operational environment
- Working collaboratively with diverse stakeholder groups, including youth
- Experience with the post-secondary and/or secondary education system
- Experience in or with the non-profit sector
Interested applicants should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 22, 2017.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.