Senior Mechanical Designer
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
As a Senior Mechanical Designer, you will be responsible for the mechanical design, development, and quality of the product enclosures.
In this role, you will:
- Work with customers to understand their product requirements and brings ideas to life by creating innovative designs that can be efficiently manufactured and assembled, and meet durability, performance, and cost targets.
- Self-manage projects from conceptualization to production.
- Lead technical presentations and discussion with customer.
- Research materials and component technologies, and define design options that addresses the product industrial design goal.
- Work with manufacturing, electrical engineering, and other functions to optimize designs.
- Perform detailed design analysis on critical design elements, including tolerance analysis.
- Capture designs in SolidWorks 3D CAD tool.
- Use rapid prototyping methods to provide samples to customer.
- Support realization phase for tooling and sample runs, up to industrialization (DFM with toolmaker, support to NPI and Engineering).
- Inspect manufactured enclosure components.
- Review results of reliability and field tests and perform failure analysis to correct design issues encountered.
- Prepare design documentation for production (component design, technical drawings, assembly instructions and parts lists).
- Lead corrective actions to resolve quality issues. Contribute to FMEAs.
- Improve processes and methods to increase productivity and quality, and reduce costs.
- Mentor junior mechanical engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 5+ year professional experience designing molded plastic parts for medium to high-volume manufacturing, going through product design cycles and carrying the concepts through production manufacturing. Experience with design of metallic enclosures is an asset.
- Proven 3D solid modelling proficiency with SolidWorks.
- Experience with creation of product concepts, surface models and with delivery of ID concepts, ID prototypes, and 3D printed samples.
- Experienced with plastic materials selection, plastic injection molding manufacturing process, tooling and assembly methods.
- Well-versed in core mechanical engineering analyses, including product design comprised of electromechanical systems, PCBs/FPCs, electrical components, antennas, batteries, sensor systems, and subject to variation of dimensions with temperature.
- Experienced with designing a variety of electronic product enclosures including sealed enclosures meeting IP67 rating, small enclosures requiring injection of potting material, and enclosures with battery doors, external connectors, mechanical switches, internal connection of PCBAs with antennas, light pipes and electronic subsystems, and outlets for air flow.
- Demonstrated and in depth understanding of dimensioning, tolerance analysis, statistical process control (Cp, Cpk), DFA, FMEA and review of tooling design with toolmaker (DFM).
- Able to prepare, read, analyze, and interpret common technical and manufacturing documents.
- Experience or knowledge in finite element stress and thermal analysis is an asset.