FairVentures is the innovation initiative of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., with the mandate to research, develop, partner and invest in innovative solutions to support the Fairfax family of companies. We have our innovation and research Lab at the Communitech Hub in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario.
The FairVentures Lab team works with a variety of Fairfax companies, mainly in the property and casualty insurance, reinsurance, restaurant and retail industries to aid and inspire innovation. We are a team of design, technical, data and business professionals engaged in sustaining, efficiency and disruptive digital innovation initiatives. We’re diverse, passionate about our work, and love to have fun!
We’re looking for people that have a range of interests, that want to work with a team of product, data, design, technical and partnership experts. We’re looking for explorers, entrepreneurs, thinkers and creatives that want to do big things in their career. Take the opportunity to help create the future of a multi-billion dollar company operating across 5 continents.
Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in property and casualty insurance and reinsurance and investment management. Fairfax's corporate objective is to achieve a high rate of return on invested capital and build long-term shareholder value. Fairfax was founded in 1985 by the present Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, V. Prem Watsa. The company has been under present management since 1985 and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada. We encourage you to read our Guiding Principles at www.Fairfax.ca
For more information on Fairfax Financial Holdings please visit www.fairfax.ca
For more information on FairVentures please visit www.fairventures.ca
For more information on the Fairfax Co-op Program please visit http://co-op.fairfax.ca/
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Quick learners with a creative and analytical mindset.
- Detail-oriented and curiosity to help deliver inspiring, innovative and meaningful results.
- Motivated, team players who can own and drive assignments.
- Desire to learn new technologies, business models, methodologies and tools.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to explore the unknown.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE
- Identify and develop new business and product ideas.
- Discover, coordinate and create interview scripts for customer discovery and validation activities.
- Create business case materials, such as the Business Model Canvas, to assist in the analysis, development and evaluation of new product ideas.
Research & Business Analysis
- Competitive & market research to inspire and evaluate market trends across Fairfax industries.
- Research and articulate “jobs to be done”, pains and gains for customers.
- Review and report on performance indicators for products and programs created within the Lab
- Assist with workshop requirements gathering, planning & execution
- High level project management amongst the team and with external stakeholders, as applicable.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Product, project or program management experience, preferably within a hardware, software or start-up environment.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent English-language skills (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of the Google Products (such as Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Photos)
- Ability to make presentations and establish business relationships.
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Familiarity with software development processes is an asset.
- Familiarity with Agile, Lean and/or Design Thinking methodologies is an asset.
- Experience in business, competitive and/or financial analysis an asset.