FairVentures is the innovation initiative of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., with the mandate to research, develop, partner and invest in innovative solutions to support the Fairfax family of companies. We have our innovation and research Lab at the Communitech Hub in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario.
The FairVentures Lab team works with a variety of Fairfax companies, mainly in the property and casualty insurance, reinsurance, restaurant and retail industries to aid and inspire innovation. We are a team of design, technical, data and business professionals engaged in sustaining, efficiency and disruptive digital innovation initiatives. We’re diverse, passionate about our work, and love to have fun!
We’re looking for people that have a range of interests, that want to work with a team of product, data, design, technical and partnership experts. We’re looking for explorers, entrepreneurs, thinkers and creatives that want to do big things in their career. Take the opportunity to help create the future of a multi-billion dollar company operating across 5 continents.
Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in property and casualty insurance and reinsurance and investment management. Fairfax's corporate objective is to achieve a high rate of return on invested capital and build long-term shareholder value. Fairfax was founded in 1985 by the present Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, V. Prem Watsa. The company has been under present management since 1985 and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada. We encourage you to read our Guiding Principles at www.Fairfax.ca
For more information on Fairfax Financial Holdings please visit www.fairfax.ca
For more information on FairVentures please visit www.fairventures.ca
For more information on the Fairfax Co-op Program please visit http://co-op.fairfax.ca/
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Quick learners with a creative and analytical mindset.
- Detail-oriented, with a curiosity to help deliver inspiring, innovative and meaningful results.
- Motivated, team players who are capable of owning and driving assignments.
- Desire to learn new technologies, design approaches, methodologies and tools.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to explore the unknown.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
User Research and User Testing
- Recruit participants from sources such as Fairfax companies, local sources, and agencies.
- Plan research activities including objectives, research questions, hypotheses, methods, interview scripts, and surveys questions.
- Coordinate interviews such as participant scheduling; remote calling; prototype set-up and instructions; notetaking; and other tasks required of those attending the interview.
- Analyze data (notes, photos, videos, etc.) for patterns to develop user personas, context scenarios, and other user and context models.
- Communicate findings and implications from user research with team and Fairfax stakeholders.
- Design prototypes for web, mobile, chatbot, data visualization, and other digital applications based on input from user research, design sprints, and other requirements sources.
- Create mockups, workflows, conceptual models, principles and other design documentation to communicate design concepts to the Fairfax stakeholders and the Lab team.
- Elicit feedback on design concepts to drive iteration and refinement of design concepts.
- Conduct design teardowns of new and popular digital applications.
- Research new design trends including methods, interactions, visual styles, and form factors.
- Integrate findings with Labs knowledge management system.
Visual Design Support Tasks
- Create visuals such as diagrams, infographics, logos, presentation slides to support the Lab’s outreach and communications to Fairfax companies.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Product design experience preferably within a software, hardware, and/or start-up environment.
- Portfolio of work that demonstrates your approach to solving user experience design problems.
- Proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, Balsamiq, Axure, Framer, Principle, etc.
- Experience with responsive web and mobile design.
- Experience conducting primary research including user research interviews and user testing.
- Front-end development experience not required, but an asset.
- Comfortable facilitating or supporting the facilitation of design-related workshops.
- Excellent visual communication skills including whiteboard sketching, presentations slides, diagrams, etc.
- Excellent English-language skills (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office and Google Products.
- Familiarity with software development processes, Agile, Lean and/or Design Thinking methodologies is an asset.