At Carnegie Technologies, we are a strong technical team that builds communications products for the multitude of networks available today. Whether that’s combining LTE and Wi-Fi together for better-quality VoIP calls that aren’t disrupted when you switch networks, aggregating networks together for smoother video streaming, giving your smartphone the ability to place calls over satellite from anywhere on the planet, or constructing end-to-end IoT systems that take advantage of the latest wireless protocols, we’re always looking for ways to get the best experience at the lowest operational cost.
We come from many different backgrounds and levels of expertise – but to all of us, craft and functionality are equally important. We constantly learn and hone our skills and incorporate those experiences into every line of code. We don’t ship “fast” solutions – we ship the right ones for our customers. We’re also leaders that create quiet time to solve hard problems and the space to focus on the best result.
Our Kitchener-Waterloo office is the heart of our software engineering team, and works closely with the hardware and operations teams from our company headquarters in Austin, Texas. You’ll have the opportunity to work with our super talented team of people, from experts in networking, machine learning, and applications to some of the pioneers of Wi-Fi itself. You might even get your name on a patent!
Our technology stack is carefully chosen to give our developers a great development experience – you’ll spend your time building quality software, not on repetitive tasks. We’ve built tools to ensure our code is consistently formatted, to release after commit, and to automate documentation; and we rely on a shared set of engineering principles when reviewing every line of code we write. Common technologies we use are:
- Mobile apps: Java (Android), Objective-C (iOS), Ionic/Cordova (cross-platform), C++ (cross-platform)
- Servers: Node.js (with TypeScript), React (web), C++ (traffic handling), Cassandra (db)
- Build & Deploy: Git, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, HockeyApp
Come join us!
Web developers at Carnegie work on the back-end systems that drive our communications products. From web services to analytics and more, you’ll be building high-scale containerized systems that are highly available and auto-scale when needed.
- You’ll spend most of your time coding - and code-reviewing others to ensure we maintain a high standard of quality
- You’ll spend the rest of your time on architecture, requirements, and design
- You’ll be working closely with our client & network services teams, product/project management, and operations to build the right products for our customers
- You’ll be pushed by your colleagues to deliver quality code in a reasonable timeframe – and trusted to seek input from then take the best action
- You have a wide knowledge of computer science/software engineering – through a related degree or diploma, but we also recognize practical experience
- You are comfortable programming full-stack applications, and have been coding – professionally or personally – for years
- You’re excited to work with technologies like node.js, React, Bootstrap, Kubernetes, and Docker
- You understand HTTP headers, authentication, caching, websockets, and the limitations of REST
- You want to work in a small, fast-moving team with lots of responsibility (and few roadblocks to getting things done)
- You are excited at the prospect of gaining a first-hand knowledge of exactly how the Internet works – or sharing your existing knowledge with the team here