Innovation Specialist Co-op
As an Innovation Specialist, you’ll be part of a dynamic young team at GM’s 2908@Communitech innovation hub, located in the Tannery building in downtown Kitchener. You’ll tackle challenges proposed by GM business units: How can we reinvent the car shopping experience? How can we design an ebike for urban residents? How can we leverage GM vehicles to make Maven the best car sharing program in the world? You and your teammates will dive into field research and customer interviews to understand pain points, prototype solutions, test your hypotheses, and pitch your ideas back to GM.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on several projects during your term, with unmatched freedom and opportunity for learning. Our goal is to build a team that challenges convention and drives diversity of thought and cultural change across our corporation. Are you ready to lead the charge?
- Lead the exploration of customer problems and opportunities. This means getting out of the office, and hitting the streets!
- Following ‘Lean Startup’ principles to develop innovative prototype designs. This may involve mobile app development, hardware prototyping, 3D printing, virtual reality, and anything else you can imagine
- Lead brainstorming and human-centered design workshops for GM employees to generate ideas for new projects
- Contribute to the exploration and validation efforts: interviewing target users, testing prototypes, gathering feedback
- Come to the work each day with curiosity and enthusiasm
- Creative, motivated, and passionate about technology with the ability to work in unconstrained environment with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Highly adaptable and able to work independently and in a team environment
- Fundamental computer skills including working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Not required but is a plus:
- Familiarity with the Sprint method (http://www.gv.com/sprint/)
- Some programming experience (Java, C, VB, HTML/CSS)
- Some experience with digital prototyping (Adobe Suite, Proto.io, InVision)
- Some experience with hardware prototyping (Arduino, BeagleBoard, BlueBean, etc.)
NOTE- YOU MUST BE ENROLLED IN A CO-OP OR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM AND MEET THE PROGRAM’S ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. ALL STUDENTS MUST ALSO BE LEGALLY ENTITLED TO WORK IN CANADA.
Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities. Should you be contacted by General Motors of Canada Company, please advise if you require accommodation.
For more information about GM Canada, visit our website at www.gm.ca/careers
General Motors of Canada values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.