Senior UX Designer
Who we are and what we do
Mappedin powers search and discovery indoors, enabling consumers to find what they’re looking for with ease and convenience. Our software platform provides industry leading tools to manage dynamic indoor spatial data and offer wayfinding experiences for customer-facing applications.
Founded in 2011, Mappedin is headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario and is backed by a prodigious group of Canadian investors, most notably Esri Canada, the industry standard for GIS technologies. Mappedin works with the ten largest malls in Canada, the largest REITs in the US, and in stores, hospitals, campuses, and airports around the world. Most recently, Mappedin is collaborating with Apple Maps to offer indoor mapping services in select malls. For more information, please visit www.mappedin.com.
At Mappedin, we have a strong culture of design. Throughout our history, we have championed usability in an industry new to UX design. We firmly believe that design plays an integral role in creating the best possible product that is used by millions of people.
Who you are and what you’ll do
You are aware and excited about new design concepts and love to learn. We expect you to be passionate about design that is research and data-driven. You don’t have to know how to code, but you’ll need to be able to interact intelligently with developers who will be bringing your designs to life.
As part of the Product Strategy team and reporting to the Head of Product Strategy, you will own UX design from beginning to end:
- Define and execute UX process across Mappedin
- Embrace design challenges that come from designing for emerging platforms like large screen interactive displays
- Run user story mapping sessions / develop user journey maps
- Develop & maintain user personas
- Build and test design prototypes
- Contribute to information architecture of Mappedin’s products
- Effectively communicate designs using mockups, wireframes and written descriptions
- Learn and relate to Mappedin’s customers as well as your colleagues in product management
- Validate product designs through usability studies
- Collaborate with your peers in software development to help guide them towards building the most usable version of our products
The ideal candidate likely has experience in one or more of the following areas as well:
- Brought SaaS products to market, spanning some or all of the spectrum of research, ideation, product validation, usability testing and iterative improvements post-launch
- Talked to customers in a design capacity where you worked to understand business pains, find insights for new opportunities and built empathy with end users
- Made iterative improvements based on customer usage data
- Worked collaboratively with other business units (Development, Operations, Sales, Marketing, etc.) to identify problems worth solving and prioritized solutions
- Designed whitelabeled solutions
- Designed for interfaces driven by user generated content
What are some challenges?
Given the rapid growth of Mappedin over the past couple years (we’ve tripled in revenue each year for the last 2 years!) there are definitely some growing pains as we figure out how to mature our processes and build new products for emerging markets. The Product Strategy team will look to you to help guide how Mappedin can bring consistency to our design process while maintaining our flair for the creative and innovative.
We are currently in the midst of a transition between agency-style design to product-style design. Up until now, we’ve had more of a consultative approach to our work, but having recently found a very strong product-market fit in the REIT space, we are well underway transitioning to building for the market instead of an individual customer. We have the opportunity to apply our history of design excellence to this new challenge, but we’re looking for your help to make it happen. Change is hard so you’ll need to be prepared to persevere through the hard times in order to work towards a better future.
Behind the scenes
There’s a lot of trust here at Mappedin. We work flexible hours, have a flexible vacation policy and work to provide whatever hardware or office equipment you want to help you do your best work. We will do whatever it takes to get things done if we said we would do it. We stay curious and will always ask each other questions, rarely making assumptions. We recognize that we are all different and will challenge each other’s views and perceptions from time to time, resulting in constructive and healthy debates, but that never stops us from all eating lunch together every day. If you want to join our sports team, there’s a blank bright orange jersey here waiting for your name to be printed on it.
Lastly, if you’re allergic to cats, don’t worry! Our office cat stays on the other side of the office and won’t bother you unless you decide to work in the collab area there.