Patent Specialist (Patent Agent Trainee)
You’re a scientist or engineer who really likes to write, or a technical writer who really likes science. Your passion for technology gives you the energy to write complicated technical documents again and again. You thoroughly enjoy word puzzles and you’re not afraid to admit it.
As a Patent Specialist / Patent Agent Trainee at Thalmic, you will learn new things every single day. You will identify inventions as they happen and you will protect those inventions by writing and prosecuting patent applications. You will move quickly to ensure new inventions are protected as soon as possible. This experience can help qualify you to sit for the Canadian patent agent examinations and become a registered patent agent in Canada if you so choose. Registered patent agents are welcome to apply, but you should be excited to draft! This role may be better suited for aspiring agents who really need the high volume of drafting experience to prepare for the exams.
What you’ll be doing:
- Identifying new inventions on a daily basis by attending technical meetings and interacting with Thalmic’s engineers. You will learn Thalmic’s technology inside and out.
- Drafting a lot of patent applications, with the guidance of experienced patent agents and attorneys. You will always have at least one patent draft on the go.
- Drafting responses to initial rejections and other correspondences from various patent offices.
- Generally helping maintain Thalmic’s growing international patent portfolio.
What you need:
- Significant experience writing about technical subject matter
- At least a bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering physics, computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, or mechatronics.
- Exceptional English language skills
- Proven capacity to quickly understand complicated technologies
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Professional and positive approach, self-motivated, strong in building relationships, team player, dynamic, creative with the ability to work on own initiative.
Bonus points for:
- Demonstrable patent drafting experience
- Background in Canadian/US patents
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to- day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund. We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.