The Thalmic Product Experience team seeks an innovative and highly motivated Senior User Researcher. You are passionate about building great product experiences that delight users. You will be responsible for driving a research strategy and implementing it, possibly inventing some new research techniques along the way. You have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices, while having a nimble, creative, and pragmatic approach. User research will need to keep pace with the rapid innovation in the product teams as they continually iterate. Along the way, you will also find time to step back and ask the big questions that help us focus on the most pertinent areas of research and influence product timely.
What you will do:
- Help shape the product vision and inform the creation of key consumer experiences using research output.
- Instill understanding and empathy for our customers across the entire organization, through a mixture of techniques that you identify to be most effective.
- Work closely and collaboratively with product managers, designers, and engineers to understand and guide the team’s research needs, including designing and conducting research activities.
- Define and execute a comprehensive user research roadmap for one or more products, and involving multiple types of concurrent user research. Research activities will span across generative work e.g. field work, development of customer models and persona building, evaluative work e.g. usability studies and concept evaluation, and summative research e.g. interfacing with market research to parse through and translate market segmentation data.
- Use your knowledge of all phases of the product and design development cycle to anticipate research needs
- Use your analytical skills to cull the important information within a sea of data, helping the team transform insights into concrete product decisions.
- Run research end-to-end across study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, and reporting
- Work with minimal direction while delivering high-quality output. Work on overlapping projects, prioritize your efforts, help organize the larger team’s work, and share output broadly.
What you need:
- BS or MS in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, or related discipline.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience, deliverables, and the ability to extract actionable insights from qualitative data.
- Demonstrated skill and creativity for selecting the right mix of methods to research questions and business goals, and resourcefulness to invent new methods when the right method does not exist.
- Deep product research experience in consumer technology lifestyle products
- Obsession for the customer experience. You never settle for good enough, and continually inspire those around you to do better for the customer.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Eagerness to continually learn, grow and improve the craft of research.
- Strong grasp of quantitative data analysis and statistics.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.