Community Relations Manager
Mission-driven since day one, Communitech exists to help tech companies start, grow and succeed. Communitech supports tech companies at all stages of their growth and development – from startups to rapidly growing mid-sized companies and large global players. A member of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs, Communitech supports companies in commercializing innovation and technology, with the goal of creating a greater number of successful global businesses.
Communitech is a place: the Communitech Hub and Communitech Data Hub act as a centre of gravity for Waterloo Region’s innovation entrepreneurs and their employees, connecting them to each other and the resources they need.
Communitech is an ecosystem: a commitment to building a top-tier global ecosystem ensures the necessary infrastructure, brand and favourable public policies are in place to attract the talent, capital and customers necessary to support their growth.
Communitech is hands-on programming: legit advice and direct support to help companies
Communitech was founded in 1997 by a group of dedicated entrepreneurs who wanted to raise the profile of the Waterloo Region tech community. Today, Communitech has grown into a movement of more than 1,100 companies determined to scale their businesses and grow the economies of Waterloo Region and Canada.
What kind of people will succeed at Communitech? People who care about our customers, get fully on board with our mission—to help tech companies start, grow and succeed—and work cooperatively with the entire Communitech team. We thrive on taking initiative, managing risks and learning from failure. We want folks who think big but are also willing to push a broom. Think you have what it takes?
Reporting to the Vice President of External Relations and part of the External Relations team, the Community Relations Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Represent Communitech in the Waterloo Region community:
- Be a visible and helpful brand ambassador for Communitech and the tech sector in Waterloo Region
- Cultivate partnerships with relevant community groups, identifying partnership opportunities that will support the needs of tech companies.
- Connect the broader Waterloo Region community to Communitech, identifying opportunities to help the community better understand the tech sector, and foster engagement with the Communitech Hub and Communitech Data Hub
- Manage sponsorship requests from local organizations and promote community events through Communitech channels.
- Lead Communitech volunteer initiatives and work with local tech companies to connect them to appropriate volunteer opportunities.
- Local Government Relations
- Support the VP and CEO in developing and strengthening relationships with regional and local Mayors and Councils, as well as with city and regional governments and other important local institutions.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with local members of parliament and provincial parliament and their staffs, to ensure they have a good understanding of the local tech sector.
- Develop public policy recommendations, particularly at the city and regional level.
- Create regular content for Communitech News and other digital channels
- Engage with our community partners on social media to strengthen our ties and raise awareness of Communitech's mission in the community
- Contribute content to Communitech News and other platforms, relating the relevance of community initiatives and events back to the tech sector
- Other content as assigned by the Director of Editorial Strategy and Digital Community Manager
- Recognition opportunities for Communitech and Waterloo Region tech community
- Support the CEO and the leadership team by handling “VIP” visits and tours to both the Communitech Hub and the Data Hub, and managing the overall tour process.
- Apply for relevant awards and lists for both Communitech and leaders in our tech community. This involves managing the applications processes, writing applications, submission and follow-up
- Back-up for Public Relations Manager and Director of Government Relations as required.
- Other duties as assigned. All duties subject to change
- Relevant community or government relations experience, ideally with a technology company or not-for-profit organization.
- A proven track record of leading and organizing community events and initiatives.
- Strong connections to the Waterloo Region community, and a desire to make a positive impact in the community.
- Excellent communication skills. You can develop and deliver an impactful presentation to a wide variety of audiences.
- An ability to multi-task and organize activities against constantly changing priorities
- Self-motivated and proactive. You seek to solve problems before they arise.
Please click on the link below to create a Plum Profile, which will help us determine if our company is a fit for you, ensure that you will be happy and fulfilled. Please also upload your resume and cover letter by Monday July 3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be kept confidential.
Communitech’s hiring practices are aligned with human rights laws, which guarantee every person equal treatment in regard to employment and opportunity for employment, regardless of race, color, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, mental or physical disability. Accommodations can be made in the recruitment process upon request.